Friday, February 09, 2007

Update on Barry

I've just left Barry at the hospital and have arrived safe and sound at the Family House where I'll be staying.

There was a bit of discrepancy on what number chemo treatment this was. According to my blog, which I don't believe is wrong, it is number 7. But the hospital records today showed it be #6. I tend to believe my records as he has MUGA scans on the odd number treatments. And that was done last week.

The CT scans from last week showed the tumor that had been treated last time had a small change in size. It went from 3.9 c.m. to 4.1 c.m. The dr. has assured me that this is not a significant change to be worried about. He came to see us as Barry was sleeping in the afternoon. He did not want to wake him up, so he talked with me. Was very comforting to me. Even drew me a picture of the area in question. Therefore, today's chemo was aimed directly at the area that had growth. He will have CT scans in 8 weeks. If there is growth, chemo will be done then. If none, he will have chemo 2 weeks later. Not sure of Dr. G's exact words, but basically said we proceed as we have been doing: onward. I did feel good after talking with him.

Barry got to his room at about 12:30 p.m. I ate in cafeteria and once I knew he was in the room, I checked in at the house. Watched a soap opera and took a small nap. Felt like heaven. Got back to hospital by 3 p.m. The whole afternoon Barry slept. Did not require any pain meds! No soreness in usual belly area. He continues to be a real trouper. After his 6 hrs. of laying flat on his back, he ate a good dinner which I had saved for him. Watched some TV and went back to sleep. I left him at about 8:30 a.m.

I'll be going back in morning by 8 a.m. to see Dr. G again for discharge papers.
Just wanted to give everyone an update on him as I know people would like to know.
Again, thanks for everything. And thanks also for taking good care of Tim while we are away. Means a lot to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear Barry didn't need pain meds yesterday. I hope he feels well today and is able to rest comfortably this weekend.

Happy he has another treatment under his belt, and it sounds like the doctor is optimistic that they are controlling it. That's great they can target in on it in detail -- hope that the next CT scan will show he can wait another two weeks for the next one.

Take care of you both! It's an emotional struggle as well - hope you can relax and reflect positively. Love, JK

Anonymous said...

Hurry and Get better Mr. Bossman......Work is Boring!
No one to pick on or no one gets picked on.
Be well and Good.