Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Tim plays Varsity

This evening Tim played his first Varsity soccer game after being asked to by his coach. First he played the JV game, followed by the Varsity game. I don't know where kids get their energy. You would never have known he had already played a game. Earlier in the season he had been placed in the Varsity roster, but was eventually taken off of it before the season actually began. Tim never had an attitude about that. He took it with his head held high and in fact I think that made him play even better with the JV team. I wasn't sure how he would do with the new team, or even how much time he would play. He played as if he had been playing with the team, and of course these are all boys that are friends of him anyway. Both teams did lose to this school, but as I've always told Tim: if you have played your best that is what counts.
As I walked away from the school with Tim, the coach commented that "Tim stepped up and it showed in his game tonight." We don't actually know what team he is on, only know that Tim likes to play soccer!
As I drove home from the games (Tim went with the team for Wendy's), I couldn't help but think of Tim. Here's a kid who has both parents dealing with cancer, gets put on and off a Varsity soccer team, doesn't complain but makes the best of the situation or does even better to prove that he can play a good game. I think I can learn something from him. And I must admit I shed a few tears, good tears because I am so proud of him.

On another note, I've just learned tonight that another member of my family has been diagnosed with skin cancer. My brother-in-law Roger. And just last week, my father was also diagnosed with skin cancer. I don't know about you, but I'm damn sick of this disease. A friend of mine was being examined/tested today for a lump in her breast. I can only pray for a positive outcome. Every where you go, another story is told. I have a friend whose sister has just been diagnosed with breast cancer. I feel blessed that my friend asks me for information, how I felt after the surgery and just all the stuff that goes with it. If I can help others, like others helped me, then something good does come from something bad.

No comments: