Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Barry's 4th chemoembolization complete

Just got home from Barry's 4th treatment. More to follow. He feels good. It was a good day for him yesterday.

After eating lunch I just woke up from a 2 hr. nap. Actually Tim is now home and he is also sleeping. And if you want to know, yes: Barry is the 3rd on the house doing the same thing!

Here's a summary of what happened since yesterday (from what I recall):

Got the hospital at 6 a.m. and Barry was hooked up to his IV for liquids. At 8 a.m. he was taken for CT scans and didn't return to short stay until 11 a.m. A long 3 hrs. for him. He then was prepped for his chemo treatment. At noon he was taken for his treatment. Earlier in the morning I called to see if I had a remove at the Family House, guest accomodations for patients' families who are going through serious health issues. I was so happy when I was told they had a single room for me. Here is the link to their website. Please check it out. If and when I win the lottery, my first donations will be to the Cancer Center locally, UPMC Liver Cancer Center and to this non profit organization. They truly deserve the monies.

http://www.familyhouse.org/welcome.asp

I stayed at the McKee place, just a couple of blogs from the hospital.

After Barry was taken for his treatment, I went to the Family House to check in. It was cleaner than any hotel I've stayed at. So friendly and helpful, having any possible needs you could mention. I did take a couple of pictures using my cell phone, and will attempt to download them for you. A single bed, desk, TV, shower and the whole house was nicely decorated. Could not beat the price of only $25.00 per night.

Barry did not appear on the floor of his room until 3 p.m. Had to wait an hour for his room to be cleaned. The nurses ended up moving a bed from another room into his room since cleaning dept. never showed up to clean it. Barry never minded, just continued to snore in hallway. I was the one that minded, for his own privacy. And I knew that vital signs should be checked every 15 mins.

The whole afternoon, he slept and snored. Occassionally I went out to the end of the hallway and worked on puzzles that were there. Have never made puzzles but this was so relaxing, a nice break. Barry never required pain meds during this chemo which was a blessing for him. It was at about 8 p.m. that he was allowed to sit up from being flat on his back. And for the first time he had a conversation with me. He ate the sandwich that I had bought in cafeteria at lunch, along with his favorite cookies and had some Ginger Ale. As he was eating, he was given benadryl again and quickly was back to nodding off. Dr. G stopped in to check on him. The CT scans showed no change in tumors, which we have learned to take as a good sign. After, I felt that I could leave him knowing he was fine. All this earlier time I was just sitting next to him, leaning back in chair just trying to relax.

It was about 8:30 when I left the hospital and walked to a Wendy's for a bite to go. I ate my dinner on the front porch of the Family House, rocking in a chair. If only someone could have taken my picture. By 10 p.m. I was in bed for the night.

Got back to the hospital by 8 a.m. and Barry was awake. He was in good spirits. Dr. G made his morning rounds and discharged him. We left the hospital at 10:30 a.m.

All in all, a very good chemo treatment. No growth in tumors, no pain from chemo. Barry never required pain killing meds this time. And I had a great place to go to after the day was done. Next time I've learned this: once Barry is back in his room, since he just sleeps, I will go back to my room and also rest. There is no need for me to sit there all day.

Again, thanks for all the prayers, as they are working.

Tomorrow is my first day on new job. Take care. And do check out that link.

PS. *******************
Since some one is sending SPAM links to my blog, I'm back to having to approve the postings. So bear with me.

PSS. *******************
Forgot to thank Lisa and family for taking such good care of Tim while we were gone. It was so nice knowing that Tim was in good hands. A load off of my mind. Again, thanks!

Tim's marching at the local fair this evening. I did not go, thought if better to say home with Barry. Who by the way, continues to be a real trouper.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that Barry does so well during these treatments. He is such a trooper! I am also glad that they make it so nice for you be there with him. It is so much easier on you and him. As always you, Barry and Tim are in my prayers and thoughts. Love, Mary Lou

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord that his tumor showed no sign of growth, and that his treatment went well. He is so strong, and such an inspiration.

Good luck at your new job, Jane! And tell Tim we saw the tail end of the band performance and they looked great. The "dance" was awesome. You and Barry can look forward to seeing it at a game.

Anonymous said...

good blessings....Tim was awesome as usual at the Lawrence County Fair! Our band is Good!
bj

Anonymous said...

Jane, so glad everything went well for Barry. As always, you all are in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck at your new job....take care...gerry