Friday, May 12, 2006

MUGA results

I met with a cardiologist today to go over my echocardiogram and MUGA heart scan results. Since my sister is a nurse, I asked her for a copy of the reports to show her directly. Because I knew that once I left the office, I wouldn't remember all the technical terms she mentioned to me. The bottom line was that the heart does show some weakness due to the chemo drug I had for breast cancer. The numbers are lower but I was reassured that it's not to the point that I need to be worried about it. She explained that since I stopped the chemo a few months ago, that the heart could remain as is or even get stronger as time goes by. She has recommended another MUGA scan in six months. She said that swollen ankles, bloated belly, shortness of breath are things to look for. I laughed when weight gain was mentioned. Heck, that's me! But I've read and she agreed that having cancer can cause the weight gain. When I see my oncologist this month for my first follow-up appt., I'm going to inquire on when I can stop taking effexor for the night sweats. I am a bit concerned since I've been reading about bad side effects when you stop this medication. This med can also cause weight gain. I seem to be on the diet: see food and eat it! And I definitely didn't like her scale.. Lots happening in our lives right now. Somehow I've got to get motivated and walk.

No comments: