Saturday, July 14, 2007

Barry's 9th ? chemoebolization is done...

Even though yesterday was Friday the 13th, for the most part (at least for me) it was a very good day. And that might seem strange for some considering the reason we were in Pittsburgh. But you know, it was.

Got to the hospital at 6 a.m. (usual time) and I was so pleased to see that the cubicle Barry was in had a chair that reclined. This has never happened before. This was in the short stay unit where he is prepped for his treatment. So I quickly reclined and was talking to Barry about it. A nurse overheard the conversation and asked if I wanted a blanket. Now an angel has spoken to me! Of course I said yes and for the first time in over a year, I was comfy as could be while with Barry at the hospital. Eventually Dr. G., his liver oncologist came to check on him. The CT scan showed slight growth in the nodules on his lungs (said miniscule growth, not to be concerned) and that the liver had decreased slightly in size. And it was explained that the chemo would once again be aimed at this same tumor as last cycle. Barry knew that pain would probably follow as it did last time. Dr. G's assistant spoke with the staff and was told that I could stay put while he was having the treatment, as long as I wanted to. The cubicle in question would have no more patients. After Barry was taken off to his treatment, a nurse even stopped by and offered me any kind of drink I wanted. She also closed the curtain for privacy. Had TV to watch and a comfy chair. Life was good. Eventually I shut the TV off and listened to my MP3 player. And dozed zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Nice!

Got up at noon and went to cafeteria for slice of pizza. I had been told earlier that the Family House had a room available for me nearby. So at about 1 p.m. I walked there to check in. Unfortunately it was not ready yet. They apologized and I said that I would just rest on the couch. Once again, I lied down and dozed for about an hr. Room still wasn't ready but that was OK. I was off to check on Barry since it was about 2:30 p.m.

I was told of his room number and found him with no trouble. And as expected, he was in a good amount of pain/discomfort. After 2 pain killer meds did not give him relief, the nurse contacted the doctor on call and Barry was prescribed a 3rd painkiller. I have that name now written down for future treatments. This wasg given to him at 5:30 p.m. Shortly afterwards he was able to go to "snore mode" which made me feel good. Forgot one thing, I was pleasantly surprised to see another chair that reclined in the room. And I was greeted my his nurse who chatted with me for awhile (noticed my bald head, start of good conversation). Went off and got me a blanket and a Pepsi, along with pudding. This was the first time Barry had stayed on this floor and the first time that the staff was exceptional. I'm writing the hospital about that. And you guessed it, another nap.

At about 7 p.m. our good friend Becky arrived with her husband and son to take me out to dinner. This was something they wanted to do for me. No one usually comes to Pittsburgh and they know how long the day is for me. I met them outside as Barry was sleeping. We went to a part of Pittsburgh that I had never been to. Called South Side where some of the streets were closed for the activities. A band playing, restaurants with outside tables and just a lot of fun. I felt like I was on vacation. We ate at Cheesecake Factory and I had the best shrimp scampi. Lots of garlic, great taste. Most of all it was a great change of scenery for me.

After dinner, they brought me back to the hospital and we went to say goodnight to Barry. He was awake, groggy though. He had just been given medication. We didn't stay long. And as a treat they drove me to the Family House where I stay overnight.
I didn't have to worry about walking the streets alone.

I got to the hospital at about 9 today and Barry was discharged at about 11:30 a.m.
He's now in bed sleeping. I'm glad that the treatment is done.

I want to personally thank Lisa and family for once again taking good care of Tim while we were gone. I never have a worry and am very thankful. I also want to thank Beckster and family for their company and for the great meal in the city. That restaurant area is definitely on my "to go back to list". Very enjoyable.

Tim leaves first thing in a.m. for his mission trip to Prince Fredrick, MD. Will be gone all week. He's been looking forward to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jane, glad to hear your Friday and Saturday are done and over with. As always, you are all in my thoughts and prayers. gerry