Saturday, December 29, 2007

Family is the best medicine

We got back from Cape Cod Thursday p.m. Barry drove the whole way back which was about 10 1/2 hrs. while Tim and I dozed. I think I was the most comfortable with my nice bed that I had made in the backseat, which was even better than the trip up there. Dad had given me a nice goose down comforter which made for an extra soft/warm bed. (You see, I commented how much I liked the comforter and he ended up giving it to me. Next time I have to remember that and tell him how much I like something even bigger and more expensive! I had not expected to be as comfortable as I was on this trip. Am thankful I was as cozy as I was. It was especially nice because Barry wasn't making me stay awake the whole trip, I was able to lay down as needed.

I do realize that I didn't post while on the Cape. No good reason, just wasn't on my to do list. It was a nice trip, able to see all of Barry's family the day after Christmas. Tim and his cousins had the job of moving a cut up tree and branches that they had taken down after a bad storm. Actually did a fast job in doing so, probably cause they just chit chatted as they moved all the tree. It had been a long time since we had seen all his family together. It's hard to accomplish that since now all the kids go to college and/or have jobs. Am very glad they made the effort to come see us. We even got to out to dinner with them, all 11 of us. Thanks.

Christmas Day was spent at my brother's house where he traditionally has this dinner with so much food including prime rib and lots of desserts. I am not sure how many people were there. It was Barry's first time being able to go which made it even more special. Tim was able to spend some time with his cousin there as well. Stephanie was on winter break from college. Another person we had not seen in a long time. Doug lived up to his reputation and prepared a tasty meal for all. Since he is a chef and owner of a restaurant, he loves to cook even on his day off. Does it so calmly while even socializing with his guests. I could never do that.

We stayed at my parents' home while on vacation. Have never had bad accomodations there. We were able to enjoy some pizza and fried seafood during our stay. Most of the local seafood restaurants we truly enjoy are closed this time of year since they are seasonal.

Dad: for your reading only not to be shown to mom.

Have heard from my sister and father how fast my mother's alzheimers is changing her. It's truly a terrible and long disease for both her and especially my father. At a time they both should be relaxing and enjoying retirement they are dealing with this illness. The whole time my mom is awake she consistently asks "are we doing anything special today?" This happens at times within minutes of the past. No comprehension or remembering. But ask her about years ago and she's so clear. Strange how this works. In order to keep her somewhat busy my dad will tell her to wipe counter top or just clean up some pans in the sink. But you have to watch every minute of the day just to keep her safe. Basically everything she does is a result of someone telling her what to do. I applaud my father for his patience and love that he gives to her each day. A tough job even if you are young. I did get some laughter out of her on evening though. First time I had heard her laugh in a long time. Dad always asks her if the dog p'd outside after letting him out. She quietly would say yes. I told her next time he asks her just say this: "yes, about 3 ounces." She did the kind of laugh that you almost can wet yourself. A good ole belly laugh.

This prayer has always touched my heart:

TEN REQUESTS OF THE ALZHEIMER'S VICTIM


PLEASE BE PATIENT WITH ME
Remember, I am the helpless victim of an organic brain
disease which is out of my control.


TALK TO ME
Even though I can not always answer you. I can hear
your voice and sometimes comprehend your words.


BE KIND TO ME
For each day of my life is a long and desperate struggle.
Your kindness may be the most special and important
event of my day.


CONSIDER MY FEELINGS
For they are still very much alive within me.


TREAT ME WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT
As I would have gladly treated you if you had been in
this bed.


REMEMBER MY PAST
For I was once a healthy, vibrant person full of life, love
and laughter with abilities and intelligence.


REMEMBER MY PRESENT
I am a fearful person, loving husband, wife, father, mother
grandmother, grandfather, aunt, uncle or a dear friend who
misses my family and home very much.


REMEMBER MY FUTURE
Though it may seem bleak to you, I am always filled with hope for
tomorrow.


PRAY FOR ME
For I am a person who lingers in the mists that drift between
time and eternity. Your presence may do more for me than
any othe outreach of compassion you could extend to me.

LOVE ME
And the gifts of love you give will be a blessng from which will
fill both our lives with light forever.

****************************

I did enjoy the time on the Cape. Wished I had felt better but was glad to have been able to go there. No matter how you feel, there are always people worse off. You just have to remember that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jane,

Thanks for the comments on your trip to the Cape. I'm so glad you went.

Try to get some laughs from the things your mom does. I remember when Thelma's mom was doing the sames things and someone times laughing is the only thing that keeps you sane!

Lisa

Anonymous said...

You cant win them all, but, when u do, its sweet victory. Glad to hear that you stayed up to see those spectacular throws of Brady!!! Always say, game isnt over til the end. And what an end to an undefeated season
16 - 0.
Hey Barry - thanks for your ?? rooting (lol)
Jane and family, your surprise visit was the best medicine for all of us olde cape codders!!(And others too)

Anonymous said...

What a poignant post, Jane. Especially about your mother. May God bless her and your father.

I am so glad you had an enjoyable time visiting with all of your family. That's the best medicine!

Here is to a very Healthy 2008 to you and your family.

Love, JK

Anonymous said...

January 1 2008

Happy New Year, luv to all the Kaminske family ! ! ! !
Lots of memories from 07 thats for sure.
Lets ALL hope for a POSITIVE NEW YEAR
LUV YAH ALL

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Jane and family. 2008 is here full of hope and promise for better days. So glad your trip was a rich one full of family and more memories. Glad your heart is healing as well as your body. bj