Monday, March 10, 2008

Just diagnosed with shingles (and they hurt!)

Will explain more later but now I know why I've been exhausted, and body hurting more than the "norm." On meds now, and told to take more pain pills. Contagious for about 5 days or so. No work for me this week. Therefore, I can't even see Tim in musical this week. That's the most upsetting to me right now.

Off to bed as sleep was not in my vocabulary past couple of nights.

CT/PET scans canceled for tomorrow due to this.

Update:

In looking back I was so exhausted last week. Began on about Wednesday. Didn't sleep well this weekend. Sometime during Saturday I noticed a couple of red marks on my left shoulder. Showed Barry them. They were sore to touch. Didn't do much the rest of the day.

Turned clocks ahead Saturday night. Still wasn't feeling good. Not getting good sleep at all. Body more sore than normal. Didn't even make it to church on Sunday, that was unusual. Was scheduled to have picture taken for being eucharistic minister. A bad night for sleeping. Just tossed and turned. Didn't accomplish anything on Sunday. Continued to feel sore.

Last night was another restless night. Went to bed with 3 different type pillows, trying to get comfortable. Left shoulder and back were very sore. No position felt good. Noticed that when I touched the area of the red marks and area on my back, that both areas were still sore. I knew I was seeing radiation/oncologist today so felt good about that. Today was my last scheduled radiation treatment. Took camera with me again. When I got there, the receptionist handed me a shamrock good luck plant that Cookie had bought for me. She's my friend who I met who is being treated for vocal chord cancer. She had heard my appt. was moved to 8 a.m. today and wanted to give me a gift. She left the nicest note on the plant for me. (Did call her tonight to fill her in and to thank her.)

As soon as doctor saw me he said it appeared to be shingles. In just a short time the spots had changed dramatically. I had not seen that they had multiplied. Mostly on my shoulder/chest/neck area. Also sent me to see primary dr. and I was given meds for the shingles.

As I type the shingles are very very sore. Very very itchy. Have taken benadryl and even that doesn't help the itch. The pain goes deep under my skin.

That's it for now cause I'm not feeling good. Can't wait to see what tonight brings me! Not fun at all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY THOSE I HAVE CARED FOR OVER THE YEARS THAT SHINGLES IS THE WORSE PAIN EVER SO LOAD UP ON THE PAIN KILLERS!!U always hang tough and have someone take some pics of tim!! adios and love ya moe

Anonymous said...

I had shingles a few years ago on my face, and boy it does hurt. I have a small scare where it was. Do as Moe said and take the pain meds as you need them and don't worry about taking them. The dr. ordered them for a reason. Roger is feeling better and now I am getting it. Can't win.......Love you and hope you feel better soon.......Eileen

Anonymous said...

Jane, Sorry you have to deal with shingles. I had them several years ago, and yes, they do hurt! Take those meds. Glad you caught them early. Rest and heal this week, and that gives the rest of us some extra time to pray for good PET/CT results! Good luck to Tim! Love, Ann

Anonymous said...

Jane: Hang in there lady, better days are around the corner. Just sleep and get your strength up this week. Take great care of yourself and yes, I will pray that the shingles leave asap.
Love Ya,
Cousin Deb ;-}

Anonymous said...

Jane I can't believe you got the shingles you poor woman. Can the cloud pass over your head and go to someone else!!! I remember when my grandmother had them...very very uncomfortable for her also so don't feel bad about complaining. She actually went through a pain management clinic for them. Take your meds and get lots of rest. I am sorry you will miss the play. I am sure you can buy the video...maybe the next best thing. I will let you know about it. Take care of yourself. Rest...rest...rest.... Love ya
becky