Friday, December 01, 2006

We're off for Barry's 6th chemoemolization

Have to be there for our usual 6 a.m. start of the day. Wish us luck.
And yes, GO HOUNDS!


UPDATED 8:50 p.m.

Just got back to the Family House where I stay overnight. Barry and I got to the hospital by 6 a.m. Since he had already had CT scans last week, this was not done today. The scans showed no change in the lungs and liver, which as cancer goes is good news. When Dr. G. stopped in to see him this evening, he told us that this was indeed good news. And that Barry would be around not just for weeks or months, but for years at this pace. His treatments could be spread out for more weeks, such as treatments every 12 weeks if the cancer stays as is. This was nice to hear.

Barry was done from his treatment by 11:30 a.m. Unfortunately the room that he was to go to did not get cleaned until after 2:30 p.m. I was over at that floor and saw the bed empty, but room not being cleaned. Quite annoying as the bed Barry had been on most of the morning does not have the best mattress. It was at 2:30 that I went to check in at my lodging. Today the waiting just got to me and I was whipped. Not very comfortable just sitting and waiting in a hard chair, especially since being up at 4 a.m. I literally just layed on bed with sheet over me. So mentally exhausted. Been a long year and 1/2, can't even imagine how long it feels like to Barry. Did call Tim to tell him I was going to nap. Was in bed for 2 hrs. and then went back to see Barry in his room. This treatment involved chemo aimed at the other side of his liver, creating a lot of pain. Barry's been given morphine for the pain, and slept most of the time I was there. I did feed him some jello before I left.

That's it for today. Heading to my room and into my jammies.

Of course, will check in with TIm to see if our team won.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck, Barry. Drive carefully....weather is miserable....gerry

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that all is well with Barry. Hopefully you will have to spend less days on those hard chairs.
Talk to you soon.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hope you and Barry are able to rest this evening...Yes, those Hounds pulled another win off!!! Very cold, wet and windy, but an exciting game! Night!
bj

Anonymous said...

Well that's good news.
Hope you both are feeling better today.
Matt