Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Biopsy is done

And the wait begins.

I was at the hospital for about 2 hrs. having the stereotactic biopsy done. I was already familiar with the process. A mammogram is done beforehand to pinpoint the area where the calcifications are. You lay on your stomach and have your breast pop through a hole in the table. The radioligist and the nurse work beneath you, after they raise the table up a bit. Your breast is compressed quite tightly, like a mammogram. Additional pictures are taken when a needle is inserted into the breast after being cleansed and numbed. I can't remember how many pictures are actually taken during the procedure. Once they have calculated the area they want to biopsy, this location is input into the computer so that the needle knows where to go. There is a loud bang at one point, this is when the needle is sort of boomeranged into the area. Like a slingshot. There is discomfort when this is done. I never actually even saw the radiologist as my head was aimed the other direction. You are not allowed to move at all. I can just listen to the conversations. By the end, my hands were so sweaty. After the specimens are obtained it is time to insert a clip into the area that was biopsied. This is used should I need surgery, to pin point the area in question. When the needle was removed, the nurse told me that it was bleeding such that it needed to once again be compressed. And this time, harder! Apparently an artery was cut. The nurse said that I had required more anesthesia than normally due to this fact. The reason for my "ouches". My breast was compressed for 10 long minutes and then bandaged up. Another mammogram picture was taken after the procedure which showed that all calcifications had been removed.

I should get the results of this biopsy in a day or two.

Once home, I quickly ate as it was 1 p.m. and went right to bed. Emotionally exhausted. Couldn't wait to get into my jammies.

In the evening we went to Tim's band banquet. I didn't want to miss it as last year I did due to that biopsy. I'm beginning to dislike the month of March.

Thanks for all your prayers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jane: I'm praying for good news today from your biopsy. I'm sorry you had to go through that yet again.

Cancer sucks.

You are incredibly strong and continue to inspire those around you with that strength.

Love ya! JK

Anonymous said...

Jane, I know what it is like to start to hate a particular month. October is mine. One year my dog died, then the next year my Mom died, then the next year my cat died. I told myself I was just going to skip October. Maybe you could just skip March!!
Lisa