Friday, August 17, 2007

Spunk is the word of the day -Blog updated 9:15 p.m.

I take that word to mean spirit. And I like that word. And most of all it pleases me to hear from a newbie on the blog system. Gives me that needed push. And today it means alot as it's chemo day for me. Reading the comment did bring good tears to my eyes. Thanks.

Updated blog 9:15 p.m.

I was not able to get chemo today upon recommendation of my oncologist. I told him of my recent symptoms (I always go in with a piece of paper for notes). I made mention that my vision has changed a lot lately, and he asked me if I had been having headaches. My answer was yes actually. That was why I just made an eye appt. for next month. Since I've been dealing a lot with numbers and data entry at my new job, I figured just this week that perhaps the vision change could be causing the headaches. First I had thought sinuses. Has been that way for about 3 weeks. I also mentioned that I've had a cough since Monday along with nasal drip, and that just this coughing was hurting my chest area and now my muscle area of my right shoulder. He immediately said that it was time for some scans and MRI to be done. He told me that tumors can cause discomfort if there is a change happening with them, either shrinking or growing. I was sent to the hospital where I had a MRI of the brain and the results were obtained within 30 minutes. Fast service. He called me while I was at the hospital with the results and the test showed "nothing there." Of course, that proved to be funny because as Barry said "he knew that already!"

The soonest I could get in for chest CT and upper abdomen CT scans is next Thursday. I have to go to another hospital for those, since that would be same hospital as May when I was hospitalized. Best to use same equipment for accurate comparison. I know all about waiting by now. Will just take each day as it comes.
I will just be happy when the cough goes away and the pain also. Mr doctor did recommend taking claritin rather than sudafed as perhaps it is allergy related. And to continue with cough medicine.

It seemed from the beginning of my appointment it was not meant to be a chemo day for me. The nurse was unable to get blood out of both sides of my double port. Even by having me lie down in the recliner. So they had to take from my arm. And after hearing that scans were being scheduled next week, I practically pleaded with him for chemo today. But no, not until he knows what is happening inside and can properly plan the next treatment. Even without a treamment today, I was gone for over 5 hours. A tiring day.

Barry and I went out to dinner tonight and who do we see at restaurant? My oncologist (neighbor) and his wife. Small world isn't it...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope all went well for you today...I've been lurking on your blog the last couple of days.

Spunk...I liked that description of your spirit! It's so you! :)

Love ya!!!!!

TimBa

Anonymous said...

That was a cute ending to your not so good day.
CW

Anonymous said...

Jane; I'm so relieved your brain MRI came back clear. I'll be praying extra prayers for Thursday. Love, JK

Anonymous said...

scrappy would be a good one for you too. hope you had a great nap today.
love ya
becky