Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Barry's my strength

Once we arrived at the hospital this morning (bright and early), Barry had a MUGA heart scan which took about an hour. He was then prepped for his chemoembolization procedure (cathetar-not a happy camper). He was wheeled away at 10 a.m. and I was told it would be about 3-4 hrs. until I saw him.

I went to the cafeteria for lunch where I noticed a bald woman wearing a baseball cap. As she walked past me, I asked if she was going through treatment. She told me that she had finished chemo and showed me her stubby hair that was growing. She was not going to be having any radiation. She agreed that you meet the nicest people while going through such an ordeal. A very nice woman.

At 2 p.m. Barry was brought to his room. Finally had a room by a window! Two beds in the room, and he is the only one in it. A nice private room. He had to stay on his back for 6 hrs. and keep his right leg straight. He was very uncomfortable in the liver area from the procedure, but was given morphine to relieve the pain. He said it would last a bit and then the pain would be back. Most of the afternoon he slept. He would occasionally wake up and I would give him some water. And of course, lots of vital signs being checked. The only time I left the room to get something for dinner, his doctor came to check on him. There was not much conversation this afternoon but I did enjoy the sound of his snoring. For me it meant that he was resting.

I left the hospital once he was able to get off of his back and onto his side. Had wanted to see him get out of bed but thought it best to get back to Tim. It was a change of shift for the nurses so it was going to be awhile for the nurse to come back and do that.

Thanks to Diane for taking Tim to band banquet tonight.

I'll be going back to hospital first thing in the morning to pick Barry up. I'm not sure what time he will be discharged.

Thanks to all for your continued support. I must say that this chemo treatment is not like the traditional chemo that he/we have had. He certainly is not able to get up and go to work right after it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We wish the BOSS all the BEST cause he's the BEST.

Anonymous said...

Barry’s one tuff dude! But, I’ve known that all my life. His strength, perseverance and dignity in the face of such adversity, humbles and inspires me to embrace life and not take anything for granted.

Jane is a lucky woman to have husband of Barry’s caliber and Tim has a father role model that can’t be matched.

Barry, soon, this will be behind you. I’m looking forward to the summer bike ride.

Anonymous said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Call if you need anything.....
thanks for lettting me know.
Aileen