Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Getting set for some radiation

For the first time in years, the college where I work said that non-essential workers did not have to work today due to inclement weather. This is where it's great to be classified as non-essential. I'll take that adjective anyday. So I got a snow day along with Tim. I went back to bed and didn't wake up until 1 p.m.! And I have to say that this was about the best sleep I've had in a long time.

Barry had gone out for KFC while Tim did the shoveling.

I met with Dr. Proctor, my new radiation oncologist, yesterday morning. After a lengthy appointment it was decided that I would be given 12 "rounds" of radiation on the tumor. The tumor is located near my left breast (opposite the original cancer), just beside where my port is. Radiation is given to patients on a Monday-Friday schedule so one week would equal 5 rounds. It is also given at the same time of day, each day. Consistency is very important.

Tomorrow a.m. I will go back to cancer center to be "marked" for the radiation. I've been through this in 2005 so am familiar with the process. A CT scan is done to locate the tumor, and the doctor will make permanent markings on my chest and back so that radiation will be targeted at the precise spot. To this day I still can see the magic marker dots on my body from the last time. Dr. Christie, my surgeon, has already inserted a marker in the tumor that will help the doctor greatly in locating the tumor. I've been told that the appointment will be about an hour.

I'm not sure when radiation will start as there are a couple other steps that will need to be done. But compared to about 25 rounds of radiation last time, this is minimal. Just hope that some shrinkage comes from these treatments.

I do feel better than I did upon hearing the news the other day. You can't stay down, you have to keep going. A co-worker asked me the day I got the news how working fit into my life with cancer. I told her that for sure working is the best medicine for me. Keeps my mind focused on other things besides myself. And being in such a caring community is so beneficial. I don't know how anyone could go through an illness without the love and support of others around. I continue to be blessed and will continue to be positive. (PS. Doesn't mean I can't shed a tear, here or there.)

Happy Valentine's Day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good thoughts Jane!! Glad you got to sleep in.
Becky