Tuesday, February 05, 2008

A very long day in the city..

Of all days, Tim woke up after a night of not feeling well with a high temp of 102. Gave him ibuprofen that has helped in the past. I called our friend Lisa to bring over some ginger ale for him, and also told her that I would give Tim her work number in case he needed anything. He slept until 1 p.m. Fever has dropped but is still just laying down as of this writing.

The biopsy was right on time. A CT scan is done so that the doctor will know where the area is that needs to be biopsied. Then the area is marked. The area is numbed by some medicine and a fine needle was inserted into the tissue involved. There was some pushing involved due to the needle hitting the mesh from the November surgery.
Eventually the needle was deep enough to get a sample. This was shown to be the case since I was once again put under the CT scan for pictures. The doctors immediately took the tissue and had it examined. This took about 10 minutes, a long 10 minutes. I was sweating and unable to move, even my hands. Felt as if I was going to throw up. Nerves. The technician told me to take deep breaths which did help. Dr. Christie came back and said there was enough tissue and that the preliminary findings show the characteristics of cancer. Not surprised. I do understand that these are just the early findings and that more tests will be done. He then inserted what are called markers into this same area just in case I have the cyberknife radiation. But remember this: in October 2007 my insurance company denied this procedure due to primarily approved for brain cancer, not breast cancer. Dr. Christie was going to consult with head of radiology this p.m. to go over this with him. Has mentioned that if cancer, would apply to insurance company and then appeal strongly.

The whole procedure took less than 1 hr. Got back to my room and boy did my back/shoulder area hurt on side of biopsy. Immediately was given pain meds. I got discharged at 3 p.m.

A very long day for both of us. Had to pay some bills and am just now heading to put jammies on. My brain is tired and my body needs a good nights sleep. If only...

PS. It's pretty bad when you know a hospital inside and out. But am thankful for living so close to such good hospitals.

PSS. My dad's home from hospital. Yeah.

PSSS. Discharge papers wrote: avoid sexual activity today. Now that's funny!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Long day for all of us...Glad it is over you both you and Tina. She has to wait for 10 days to get her results. That is the worse part. She is in alot of pain and crampy now. Hope you have a restful night......Tim too. Roger is also sick with chills, fever ect. Love to all......Eileen

Anonymous said...

A LAUGH THAT WE ALL NEED FOR A TOUGH DAY!!! My nite with mom in holliston to give dad night of rest at home!!
off to bed and guess what one foot mom had 3 pairs of socks on and two pair on other feet. after putting pj's on had left bra on and asked her if she took underwear off and said no and told her we could take off tomorrow cause she has two pair on. tomorrow i will give her sponge bath cause no shower chair here and wash her hair in the sink. she is the only smart one that knows to dress warm when the weather is rainey and drizzlely!!!
love u lots,mom and moe the dynamic duo!!

Anonymous said...

...keep the faith!!! You and Barry have come so far. You guys give me inspiration when I get down.

Love to you, Barry & Timmy2

TimBa