Wednesday, April 09, 2008

An update

Sorry for not writing in awhile. It's been a different kind of a few days for me. Wasn't going to write about it but I said "why not? My life's already an open book. Shouldn't I continue to be honest?"

These past few days have been sort of difficult for me. I've took it upon myself to stop taking the narcotic pain killer. Not because I'm not feeling any pain, but because it's just a narcotic. Had already been down to a low enough dosage, I thought, that I would be OK. Sunday I took my last pill. Had been on a much higher dosage when I was just recovering from my surgery. But had drastically, slowly cut down on it. Yesterday was not a good day for me at all. It just became too much for me. Call it withdrawal or call it mood swings, but it wasn't a fun day. In the morning I confided with a co worker through tears. She was quite comforting and ended up walking around the college with me. Think it all just came upon me: these are the months marking my diagnosis, Barry's upcoming CT scan on Friday and the Relay for Life. Hard to explain how I felt. I guess I deserve to be down at times, to complain. And last night was my worst ever night for sleeping. Tossed and turned, sweated and chilled, and even cried some. I even felt an urge to take one of my old pills, but didn't. I think I fell asleep at 2 ish only to wake up at 7 for work. I honestly didn't know how I was going to make it at work today, being so tired.

I did call the doctor today and he prescribed me a non narcotic pain medicine. And did mention that he thought my feelings were pain related, not withdrawal related. I disagree but who am I. I've taken the new medication and hope for a better night and end of the week.

As for Barry, as I wrote he goes for a 12 week CT scan update this Friday. If no change, chemo will be extended another 4 weeks. If there's growth, he'll have chemo next week. He continues to be strong. Never complains (unlike me). He did tell me that the neuropathy in his feet is a constant issue. Doesn't feel right ever due to meds. As for me, I'm trying to coordinate with my Pittsburgh doctor for the right chemo drugs to use. He has mentioned to me that there are 2 clinical trials out there but I've told him that would be last resort. Even though the treatment he may be prescribing is a trial in itself. I'm not looking forward to chemo at all.

And the Relay for Life is this Saturday. Ribbon cutting is at 10 a.m. with the traditional survivors lap at noon. And as I've said, Barry and I will be cutting the ribbon. This is also the day we'll meet the reporter from the paper who is doing the article about us. Will be an emotional day like the past few years.

Does this answer your question to why I haven't posted?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jane:

I am glad that you are open and honest about what you are facing. I thank God for angels like your co-worker who took the time to just be there for you when you needed to let it all out.

You have faced SO much these last three years; more than most people have to face in a lifetime. It really just isn't fair. I keep thinking that God must have made you an incredibly strong person because you know the saying "He only gives you what you can handle." Well - you have been given more than most. That makes you extra special in my eyes.

Surviving can be more of an emotional battle than a physical one at times. The little head games are a constant and they can drive you crazy (you know what I mean ... worries, aches, pains, "future", long term, etc.) Just please know you are not alone. Your friends and fellow survivors are here for you, night or day. Next time you feel so blue, please give me a call.

I think this weekend is just what you need - to connect with fellow survivors and be surrounded by a community who loves you and supports you. This is your day to SHINE, and I know you will. I'm sure it'll lift your spirits. I wish I could be there to walk the track with you - I will be thinking about you, that's for sure! I'll miss you guys.

Please know I have been praying specifically for peace for you this week. God gives us the strength to go on when we feel we cannot .... may He hold you in His hand.

And I'm with you -- sounds to me like you are having withdrawal symptoms! I hope the new meds help you feel like your old self.

Much love, JK

Anonymous said...

when u get sad think of those nice turkeys and deer u get to see all the time in your back yard!!! u love them so much!! just hope the deer don't eat your tulips that should come up that i think patty helped u plant-i will keep those hungry ones here in holliston as they have eaten ours!!enjoy today and love ya moe correct planters helper if necessary

Anonymous said...

..."He only gives you what you can handle."

...and you've handled it with grace and dignity, and transformed it into inspiration for all of us that love and care for you.

TimBa

Anonymous said...

Superwoman Jane: Even superwomen are allowed to have a few moments of down time. Don't be to hard on yourself, better days are right around the corner!
Love Ya,
Cousin Deb
;-}

Anonymous said...

Jane,
You are in my thoughts and prayers, can't say that enough. You deserve all the BEST of everyone's love and understanding. You have shown faith, strength and so much courage facing all of this the last few years! Believe me, you have are raised up by soooo many people and when you cannot WALK by faith through your day, your guardian angels come and carry you. They are all around you in friends, coworkers and loved one.
Crying is good for the soul.
bj