Wednesday, December 21, 2005

I've been having some pain in my knee area for the past couple of weeks. With everything happening in our lives, I put the pain aside and didn't want to complain. In fact when I would tell Barry about it, I would feel bad. But while I was having my nails done last night, my nail technician Retta told me about one of her clients who had gone through breast cancer and chemo. Retta was not sure exactly of the details, but this woman had been hospitalized, blood clot or stroke. One of the things that Retta told me of her was that she had knee pain. I then told Retta of my discomfort. She urged that I see a doctor. Later in the evening I did lie on the couch with an ice pack, and for the first time the knee was feeling good.

I went to work and the knee felt pretty good. But with Retta's words in my head and knowing I was going away next week, I made a doctor's appt. today. I saw the doctor and she examined the knee. I could never really pinpoint the area that hurt, just knew it was internally located. But during her examination she found the spot. She eventually sent me for X-rays at the hospital. She prescribed celebrex to me. She thinks it could be fluid in the knee or perhaps arthritis. Should have results of tests in a couple of days.

Just a short while ago Retta called and asked if I had gone to the doctor. I told her I had. She informed me that the woman we talked about last night died today. You know, my knee soreness may be nothing but you can't take any pain for granted. You have to be your own best advocate. Things I used to ignore can no longer be ignored. Health is too important.

Tomorrow is Barry's birthday. He's turning 52 young years. In a couple of months I'll be turning 50. People ask me if that is going to bother me. I say, hell no. I'm going to CELEBRATE. Happy Birthday, Barry. You are my hero.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane:

I'm glad you had your knee checked out, and that the doctor thinks it is not serious. Isn't it a shame that we DO have to be our own best advocates? It also stinks that every little ache and pain automatically we think "cancer!" or cancer-related. Fortunately this does get better over time. But that is one of the toughest parts to deal with after all the chemo and treatment is over. Sigh . . .

On a positive note - tell Barry HAPPY BIRTHDAY and you are so right - who cares how old we are. We're 6' above ground! And we're all 18 inside, right?

Love ya!