Thursday, June 08, 2006

Graduation

Tonight Tim and I went to the High School graduation held at the college. What a great group of kids. I was touched by one of the speeches given by the salutatorian ( I think that was his title). He ended his eloquent speech by hoping for a cure for cancer, and that he would not be the one to find it. I had to find him after the ceremony just to hug him for mentioning this dreaded disease which has touched my heart so deeply. I told him I wanted to give him a standing ovation for doing so. I also told him that perhaps he would be the one to find the cure. I can't explain, but there are just certain times that people can truly touch your heart. There was also talk of being a kind spirit, to always wear a smile. Such a nice evening which I'm glad I was part of. And another highlight was getting a hug from Megan before she entered the auditorium. She was in line, but took the time to approach me for a hug. And I thank her. Tim's close friend T. graduated tonight with honors and was the youngest in the class, not even 17 years old. Tim certainly does know how to pick kind friends. There was just something you can't put your hand on about this group of kids. I will truly miss seeing them at band and at school functions. I wish them the best!

And in 3 years, it will be Tim's turn. I know that this time will fly like all the other years. It was another good year for him, and I continue to be so proud of him in what he has and will accomplish. He's been through a lot since last March with 2 parents going through cancer, but he has pulled through as a true survivor. Not only is a good person and friend, he's also an honor student. He is the reason that we can smile while going through what we go through.

Best of luck to all graduates!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I, was also very impressed with the comment at the end of the speech mentioning a cure for cancer and found it quite moving. We never know who amoung us will do GREAT things and who will also do the LITTLE things that can mean the most...bj