Wednesday, June 21, 2006

That's life....

I got to the hospital by 9 a.m. today. Barry was asleep when I arrived. Had just got shot of morphine. He awoke shortly afterwards. Had as restful a sleep you can in a hospital. So many noises and interruptions just while I was with him. His doctor arrived and gave him the OK to be discharged. I think the only thing Barry ate while in the hospital was a cookie and drank some ginger ale. I definitely ate more than him! This was the first time he left the hospital with me pushing him in wheelchair to the door. Discomfort and light headed, and glad to be going home. I think it was about 11:30 a.m. when we left the hospital.

After his doctor gave him the OK to leave, he went to see the elderly man in the bed next to Barry. 80 years old and just told that he has pancreatic cancer that had gone to his liver. A frail man as it is. After going over his limited options due to his health, the man's comment to Dr. G. was "That's life." Again, so many stories to be told.

We got home and I cooked burgers on the grill for Tim and myself. Barry immediately went to bed. After I ate, I did the same and slept for a couple of hours. It's always a couple of exhausting days when he has treatment. I am thinking of staying at a Ronald McDonald type of hotel near the hospital next treatment, to save on driving back and forth. Am hoping that Tim can come with me next time to keep me company. This way I won't worry about him while I'm gone.

Barry's moved downstairs now to watch some TV with Tim. While Tim did band practice, I got back on the track and walked a mile. I've been doing 1 -2 miles a day (except yesterday). Enjoying it which is strange.

No comments: