Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Treatment 3 is done!

We left for Pittsburgh today at 4:30 a.m. and I've just returned home at 10:30 p.m. A very long day for us.

Today's treatment seemed to be the worst for Barry of the 3 he has had. More pain than the first. He did receive morphine and some other drug for the pain. I would say that on the whole, we did not have much conversation at all today after he came to the room. He was just in such discomfort in the belly area. I was just there for support mostly. The only thing he had was a sip of water all day. As in the past, I had bought a sandwich for him to eat but he never ate it. I did tell the night nurse when I left him at 8:45 p.m. that it was in frig for him. Every treatment is so different. I'm sure he didn't even realize that I left him when I did. Tomorrow will be a better day.

Barry got to explain the process to a woman who was undergoing this chemo treatment today for the first time. Always nice to talk with someone who has been where you are going. She has had breast cancer, went into her spine and now liver. You truly meet many people with so many different stories to share.

And like the other two times there, a room mate of his was diagnosed with cancer: pancreatic cancer. He's a frail 80 year old man. And later in the evening his condition went another direction because he lost feeling in one of his feet. Possible blood clot from an earlier procedure he had years ago. Just a shame.

Good night.

No comments: