Sunday, September 09, 2007

Fatigue-trying to fight with lots of sleep

Haven't felt like bloggin' but I have to make myself do it, if only to help me to keep track of how I'm doing.

For the first time in a couple of years, I called out sick Thursday and Friday due to low white blood cells. Other times I've not been to work were due to chemo treatments. Pretty good for someone dealing with cancer.

About the only thing I did on Friday, after pushing Tim out the door to school with sore throat and stuffy nose (shame on me), was to sleep most of the day.

Then comes Saturday. I did go see Tim play soccer. It was worth it as he scored a goal. Team lost, but that's OK with me. I sat in an area of bleachers all by myself. Briefly explained to people why I was keeping to myself. Lunch was pizza at the stadium. Tim rested after the game as he still wasn't feeling good. Then he went to an away football game with the band. Found out it poured all the time, kids stayed in the bus until 1/2 time when they got out and did their routine. I think they left after the 3rd period. Am so glad I didn't go to that game. Both Barry and I stayed home once again.

Before dinner Barry treated me to DQ for a banana split. Yes, I'm going to become one. That is one thing when I eat it, it tastes the same. Most other things have no or different taste. Then we did a take out order from a restaurant as we didn't want to risk me catching anything. And to keep honest with my blog postings, I am posting the following. As soon as I got in the door, the bathroom called me. And I spent many trips there with the end result of me taking immodium AD. Eventually took a bath, went downstairs to finally spend time with Barry, and to lay down on the couch. I just couldn't get warmed up. Just as a precaution, I took my temp and it was fine. Quickly said good nite to Barry and went to bed. I couldn't stop shivering, even had my winter jammies on along with a warm turban hat to cover my head. Put comforter also on top of the bed. For about 45 minutes I could not get warmed up even while in the fetal position. But then I did, and put my regular jammies on. Not a good night for me. Tim got home at about 11:30 p.m. as I was still in bed.

This morning, the "boys" went to see the Buffalo Bills play. They lost with zero seconds in the game when the other team got a field goal. What a shame. But I just heard from Tim that they had pizza at our friend's house who plays for the Bills. Can't beat that!

After saying goodbye to them at 7:45 a.m. this morning, I went back to bed. Do you know what time I woke up? 1 p.m. just in time for the game! And even with all that sleep, I yawned during the day. This treatment is wearing me down, but I will soon be back in control. If I've learned anything it's this. If you're tired, rest. Do what your body is asking you to do. My accomplishments today were buying a newspaper at gas station and doing a couple loads of laundry/changed Tim's sheets.

Update on noticeable side effects: no eyebrows
no bottom eyelashes
no nose hairs

Funny how when you are missing these, you do notice the difference. Every blink I blink I feel. And when I have cried, it's actually uncomfortable. Seems that the tears have no place to go. Very weird. And runny noses run easy.

Weight is 134 lbs. this a.m.

As for work tomorrow, I'm going to play it be ear. I need to update the cancer center on how I was feeling this weekend. And to ask how I would know if/when my white blood count increases. Can't take risks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jane, So glad to hear that you got some much needed rest and that you had enough strength do some laundry!
Lisa