Sunday, September 02, 2007

Tired of being tired

As you've noticed my last posting was about 1 week ago. And that was the beginning of a very long week of fatigue and changes to my outlook. The next day was even more exhausting to me, and to continue to be honest tears were shed for a couple of days. I had been given decadron/steroid on the Friday I had chemo, and I took decadron pills the following two days afterwards. So come Monday/Tuesday I hit what I call "rock bottom" in the energy level and emotional level. For what I think was the first time in my life, I had to reach out to a friend. And within minutes Lisa was at my door on Tuesday when I got home from my job. Not only did she show up, but another bosum buddy (just out of the blue) Tina stopped by with some food. After I got some food and my medication into my system Tina left and brought back BJ. I was the lowest of lows those hours. And after talking to my oncologist, he has adjusted some meds that I take. He told me this: I'm hitting you good with these chemo drugs. And also the decadron does a job on you.


I continue to be fatigued, and while at work I make myself walk away and take a much needed break during the day. If only to go for a walk in town, or sit and catch my breath in my truck. This will be my second week on the chemo pills and I am so looking forward to next week. NO CHEMO PILLS for a week. My next chemo by IV is Sept. 14.

On Friday my sense of taste basically disappeared. Everything tastes like cardboard.
Call it trench mouth. Ate a nice juicy burger Saturday but couldn't even tell it. Sweets taste the best though. An ear of corn tasted OK due to its sweetness. My body/bones have been aching this weekend. About the only thing I did yesterday was to watch Tim play a soccer game, which he assisted with a goal. Both weekend days I got up late. And today after being up for only about a few hrs., made BLT's for lunch and then went to bed for about 4 hrs. When people ask me how I'm doing, the only word that comes to mind is "fatigued." More than just tired. But in reading over my medical literature, this is what is said: rest rest rest when your body is telling you to.

Yes, tomorrow is a holiday but not for me. A work day. And of all times in my life, I sure could enjoy another day off. But....that's life.

Barry's next chemo is Sept 28 which is also the same day as my second opionion with an oncologist at MaGee Womens in Pittsburgh. I can kill 2 birds with one stone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So sorry you have so much going on right now as well as dealing with the treatment. Please know that you and your whole family are always close in thought and prayer. Ann L.