Thursday, September 06, 2007

Low white blood count....time to stop new chemo

This a.m.'s weekly blood count showed that my white blood count was low, requiring me to stop taking the XELODA chemo pills immediately until it gets back to normal and then the dosage will be adjusted. This is the first time that my white blood count has ever been low. Dropped quite a bit since last Thursday. This means that I have to be extremely careful of germs, stay out of crowds and not be at all close to someone that is not feeling well. I am prime target for infection. The nurse practitioner also checked out my throat/gland area and did a quick exam on me. Didn't notice anything wrong. I just know that the gland area is sore, and there is lump when I swallow. And you know something, I've been right in the past.

After finding this out, my next appt. was to see the dentist to have my tooth x-rayed that had been hurting me. And yes, the x-ray does show a nice black spot. For some reason, the dentist was unsure what it is exactly. Said he would need to go in to see what it is, and perhaps would need to do a root canal. Well, unfortunately for me, no dental work can be done on me since my count is low. He did prescribe a strong antibiotic for me to take in the meantime. So for now my tooth is on hold.

I got home from both of these appts. at 10:30 a.m. and was extremely pooped. God is really testing me. So for the first time, I actually had to call in sick! And after talking with another oncologist this p.m., I will also not be working tomorrow. Too risky right now, don't need to land in hospital. She said that the numbers will come up in a few days especially by stopping the chemo pills. And handling cash at this stage in the game is a bad idea. (I work with cash).

So today I spent about 4 total hours in bed sleeping. Felt good. Have taken an antibiotic pill and hopefully will feel results soon. And tomorrow will be another day of needed rest for me.

We were planning on going to see Buffalo Bills play on Sunday. Barry and Tim will be going, but I will be staying home. Can't be in crowds, but Barry needs to get away and have some fun. My fun will be to rest up in a quiet house.

PS GOOD NEWS**************************

My dad comes home from rehab tomorrow!!! Yeah..


PSS MORE GOOD NEWS********************************

Just heard through the grape vine that Tim got elected TREASURER of his JR. CLASS!
Way to go, Tim. With everything going on in our family life, we needed to hear some more good news!!!!!!

No comments: