Sunday, September 02, 2007

Update on my dad

My dad ended up with 2 different parasite infections probably caused by a deer tick. His blood counts were so low, one if them only read ONE. That was bad. After a week in the hospital and receiving blood transfusions, he was moved to a rehab center a couple of towns away. My sister had researched about 3 facitilies to find the best one for him. And they lucked out with a bed becoming available. He is in a single room on the first floor. He is not allowed out of the wheelchair due to safety concerns. When he leaves his room he wears a surgical mask to prevent him from getting an infection. His immune system is weak. His physical therapy consists of about 30 minutes of attempting to pick items up off the floor, trying to walk over a wire. As he told me, his vision has not come back totally. Seems to come and go. Dizzy still/shaky when he stands. Physically he sure does need help, but mentally he's his good old self. I've been callin him daily which he does enjoy. Even though every sentence I speak starts or ends with a yawn. But he's my dad and understands!

As for my mom, considering the past week and everything that has been happening out of the normal routine, she's doing GREAT. And I tell her that everytime I call her. She has no idea on what is going on. But on the phone is as pleasant as can be to me. Always asks me "how are you feeling Jane?" Yes, she still knows our names which is a blessing. My sister maneuvered my mom for the past 10 days, from Cape Cod to her own home off the Cape as they say. Almost taking each day as it came as she works as a nurse. Couple of days my mom spent at my brother's house and she will do the same this week. A difficult time especially with an alzheimer patient things should be calm and routine. But she was able to attend her senior center activities for her usual 2 days. Just lots of chauffering and organizing. My sister did end up boarding their dalmatian. We're not sure how long my dad will be in rehab, may be for weeks. I think my sister is working with her job for some time off to care for my mom. Having something like this happen to your parent(s) sure can take a toll out of you and them. I ask for continued prayers for them.

So you see, we're all going through changes. As my mother once said to me, it's the aging process. It's no wonder why my brain is in overload lately. But we have to keep going forward. May not be walking fast, but at least I'm going in the right direction.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jane....you, Barry, Tim, your Dad and Mom are in my thoughts and prayers.....please take care. gerry