Sunday, January 27, 2008

Friday's happenings...

Barry and I got to the hospital as planned at 6 a.m. Boy was it cold with the temp at about 5 degrees. At about 9 a.m. I left Barry to go to Hillman Cancer Center for my CT scans for chest and abdomin, which included drinking 2 containers of the terrible contrast. Took all I could just to do that. No matter what flavor they give you, to me it tastes terrible. Barry just chugs it down when he does his tests.
I finished those tests at about 12 noon just in time for a quick cup of soup in their cafe. Then I was off to see my plastic surgeon for a 12:45 p.m. appt. This appt. is always quick, no waiting involved. Everything is healing nicely and I don't have to have any further follow ups with him. One down.

Earlier in a.m. I got news that there was a room available for me at the Family House. This facilitly is about 11 blocks from the hospital. I immediately went over there, got a precious parking spot behind their building and checked in to my room. By 2 p.m. I was under the covers just to rest my body/brain and to get warmed up. At both previous hospitals I was never able to get warmed up, even with donated blankets.

I took the shuttle bus back to the hospital and got there by 4:30 p.m. Barry had got to the room at about 3:30 p.m. He was in the worst agony. Felt as if a truck was sitting on his chest. First time ever he was using swear words which is not like him at all. Not only was he suffering, he was not able to get off of his back due to the chemo procedure. Morphine was not helping which was usual. I quickly jumped in to be his pain management advocate. Toradol took forever to get up from the pharmacy. Followed by more morphine. It's a terrible, hopeless feeling to watch someone you love be in such pain. Only thing I could do was to hold his hand and occassionally rub his feet. By 6 p.m. he was able to finally fall asleep for a short while. To hear his slight snoring was a God sent noise.

Dinner came, but of course he wasn't up to eating. So I enjoyed bits and pieces of it. I stayed until 8 p.m. Since he was finally sleeping some I thought it was a good time to leave. He told me the next day that it wasn't until midnight that he felt better.

I took the shuttle back to the Family House and I was under the covers by 8:30 p.m. I had such a feeling of comfort just knowing he was finally sleeping and that I didn't have to drive home that evening. These housing units are so clean and the people are so caring. So many stories are shared by the people openly. One lady's husband has been in hospital for 3 months with transplant issues. Another 21 year old girl has virus and it was 3 years ago she had heart transplant. And you can't beat the price of a room. A single cost only $30. I just can't explain the warmth I feel when I go in to the room on a day Barry has his treatment. A long day for both of us.

Yesterday I got to the hospital by 9 a.m. and was able to speak briefly to his oncologist. By that time Barry was feeling so much better. So thankful for that. His doctor also wanted to see my surgical site and to show his resident. He said that we've been through a lot for a couple. I agree.

Barry did rest most of the day yesterday, and continues to do the same this a.m.
After church last night, I made homemade chicken noodle soup with cheese tortellinis.
A good day for that.

And here it is Sunday. Tuesday I meet with new oncologist Dr. Simon, and Wednesday I head back to Pittsburgh to meet with surgeon Dr. Christie to go over the CT scan results. I will also be discussing the continuous pain I've been having in right clavicle area from arm movement. I've been having to take more pain meds the past couple of days. But was told over the phone last week from his nurse that it probably is just the healing process, but the CT scans will put it all together.
As for saying I don't have cancer, I will never say that. As a good friend of mine told me (JK), just say "so far, so good."

Thanks for all your continued prayers and support.

PS. Today is going to be "clean the house day" for Tim. He doesn't know that yet. With both Barry and I unable to do lifting and so forth, Tim will be a great help.
(not sure if he will think that, though!) One thing that will change this cycle for Barry, he won't have to take care of the house and me like he did in November. He can deal with his own healing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jane, please take care...both of you...you're in my thoughts and prayers. gerry

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane:

It breaks my heart to know Barry was in so much pain. Understanding suffering is beyond us as humans ..... I hope he is feeling better today.

I didn't realize your new oncologist is Sheryl Simon! I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful she is. She has dedicated her life to oncology. She's a gem. You will like her very much.

May God bless you and your family today.

Love, JK