Wednesday, March 08, 2006

26 years of marriage /test results are in!

Last year we went to Phoenix and saw the St. Laurents. What a nice way to celebrate 25 years. This year is a bit different but both of us are still here. So as they say, "it's a good day."

I'm heading to work after a good night's sleep. Am sure Dr. G. will be calling me with test results. I sure do hope I passed with flying colors.. As always, I carry my hope charm with me since Linda gave it to me a year ago.

I finally got the call from Dr. G. in the afternoon. He had been doing rounds at the hospital all day. Here's the scoop:

BENIGN-liquid that was drained from cyst
BENIGN-tissue samples from 2 suspicious areas

but the 2 above areas show "atypical ductal hyperplasia", short name is ADH. Benign but could be pre-cancerous stage. About the size of pinheads. He has recommended surgery to remove the areas in question. This is due to my previous bout with cancer. He has already left message for my surgeon to call me. And if you guys remember from last year, the anesthesiologist Chris was really a cutie! Hope he still works for Dr. H. I was ready to accept any diagnosis so am quite pleased with this good news. No need to wait around, remove what could be bad.

Definition I found online:

****Atypical Ductal Hyperplasia (ADH)
It is important to understand that Atypical Ductal Hyperplasia (ADH) is not cancer. ADH means that the cells lining the milk ducts of the breast are growing abnormally.

ADH can only be diagnosed by examining a sample of breast tissue under a microscope. This small sample of tissue is removed with a hollow needle (called core needle biopsy) or by a small operation.

The area in the breast is usually seen on breast x-rays (mammograms) as a cluster of small deposits or spots of calcium salts, known as calcifications.

In most women ADH is harmless and will not cause any further problems. However, for some women ADH can mean there is a higher than average risk of developing breast cancer in the same breast in future.

*****************************

After taking Tim to his weekly flute lesson, we went out to dinner to a local brewery to celebrate our anniversary. We had never been there and it was very good.

Barry's doing pretty good. Taking it easy. Does try to sleep but has trouble when in the laying down position. His next appt. is on Tuesday, about when his hair will be falling out. I've already once again volunteered to shave it for him.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! Love, Mary Lou

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary...

Anonymous said...

Wow 26yrs ago we set you up with each other....
Happy Anniversary..

Anonymous said...

Wishing both of you the very best!

Rich

Anonymous said...

Did you here my loud AMEN!! All three of you needed good news!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!!!
Thinking of you the other day and then Sibyl called to chat and said she talked to your Dad. Praying that good things keep coming your way.
Enjoy the day, Len & Donna

Anonymous said...

Hey Jane, sounds like great news to me!!! Brought chills to my spine and tears of happiness to my eyes.