Thursday, March 02, 2006

Mammogram/sonogram/mammogram

As you know, I had a mammogram this morning. First one of both breasts since being diagnosed. I asked when I would have the results and was told that the doctor would immediately review them and discuss them with me, since I was a cancer survivor. I started with the mammogram, which led to a sonogram of the left breast (not the cancer breast), and then was told that the dr. wanted the breast marked for another mammogram. All this was being done without me actually meeting the dr. yet. It was after the second mammogram that the dr. came in to explain what was happening and what she was seeing. She brought me into her office and showed me the slides, previous ones and present ones. In the past I had mammos done elsewhere but with an incorrect diagnosis a year ago I wanted someone I could trust. Dr. G. (my oncologist) recommended the hospital that he is associated with. There is a spot in question that showed up on the picture last year which was never discussed by anyone. She talks about calcification (not sure of spelling, buildup of calcium) in a specific area. Normally it shows up on the film as dots, but on mine they are not consistent shapes. Sort of squiggly and therefore need to be biopsied. There is another area of question that also needs to be looked at. While I was there, Dr. G. called her about me. Perfect timing. She explained her findings to him and it was a go for me to do the biopsies.
Here is a link I found for one of the

biopsies:http://www.radiologyinfo.org/content/interventional/breast_biopsy_xr.htm
-steriotactic

the other biopsy I've had before, sonogram guided needle biopsy. Both these tests will be done on the same day. Scheduled for 3/15/06 but after much thought tonight I am going to call her in a.m. to see if this can be moved up. And that date would be my one year anniversary in hearing the word cancer. Funny, huh.

I am glad that this dr. is noticing these items, but it also churns up more stuff in my already cluttered head. But I will continue to be strong as I watch Barry also be strong. I know I should not worry but it's a human emotion.

Barry's had many different aches today, nothing consistent. To us the aches are meaning cancer cells are being killed by chemo.

Not sure what I'll do for my 50th birthday tomorrow. Depends on how Barry feels. Some friends of mine think it might be good for me to go out with the "girls" for a couple of hours. They are leaving their calendar open for me to call them tomorrow. A good definition of friendship.

Thanks for listening to me tonight, you know who you are. Tomorrow will be a better day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are welcome. :-)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Go celebrate with your buddies, Jane. It will do you good! You are loved many,