Monday, March 06, 2006

Jane's two biopsies

First biopsy: 10:30 a.m.
Second one is at 1 p.m.


I went to work a 1/2 hr. early and left at 10 a.m. for my first biopsy. The first biopsy was done using sonogram for guiding the needle, and the radiologist Dr. M. was able to aspirate the cyst. It appears to be just cystic tissue but will be analyzed and results done within 4 or 5 days. I have had this test in the past so knew what to expect. And like the last one I had, the tissue was hard to go through for the needle to drain it. Had to be jammed a bit. Just a little uncomfortable.

There was about 1 hr. time in between the two appointments. So I went to the cafeteria to eat some lunch.

The second biopsy, a stereotactic biopsy, began by having a couple more mammogram pictures by Linda. I was then brought to the room where the test is given. You lay on your stomach on a basically flat table, with an opening for your breast. The table is raised and the medical staff/radioligist are beneath it to the side. My breast was compressed as if a mammogram was being performed. Dr. M. did the incision for the larger needle to be used, and then the other radiologist Dr. L. did the procedure. Of course they constantly numb the area as I react with discomfort. But never did I complain. To me it was important to get as much sample tissue of the two areas in question. I had thought there was only one questionable area, but there was another by it's side. This test is done by a computer with the specific readings or location of area programmed into it. It pinpoints where the needle should go, and snips the sample tissues. Unlike the first biopsy, the samples are tissues and not liquid. This is why this test was done. I will know the results within 24 hours. They will call Dr. G. my oncologist with them. I did feel pinching feeling but heck, pain is good.

After the biopsy, Cara came in to once again go over the discharge instructions and to see if I had any questions. She is one of the many nurses who I had contact with these past 2 visits. More nice people entering my life in a stressful time. I got to talking to her about my life and Barry's life. She seemed honestly interested and asked if I would ever be willing to talk to someone else if they had questions about these tests, from a personal level. I explained my online journal and how I do like to touch others with my/our experience. I have since sent her my blog address.

I left the hospital at 3 p.m., a long day for me. I couldn't wait to get home. I treated myself to a Dairy Queen cone even. I immediately called my parents as I left the hospital to tell them the tests were done. I was surely feeling the pain in the breast and took tylenol. Made a couple phone calls to update work and family. I will not be working tomorrow as I am to rest for 24 hrs. As I lay down in bed, the pain was such that percocet came to my mind. I took one of those pills I had from prior surgery and quickly felt relief. I slept for a couple of hours.

As I was driving home, I came upon Tim and his friend Tess. Gave them a ride home. I told Tess that all the nurses and doctors adore her dad at the hospital. She laughed.

When Tim got out of the car, he asked why I had not told him directly about the biopsies today. He had heard me talk on the phone with Becky the night I heard the need for them. I could only say I didn't want to upset him with everything else going on in our lives. But I now that he is old enough and I will not keep things like this from him again. I truly am thankful for such a mature kid.

Well, the percocet is still making me feel pretty good. There was a lot of activity today on my poor little boob!

Thanks to all for your continued thoughts and good vibes. And a special thank you to the medical staff who touched my life today. Angels do walk among us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jane: Keeping you & Barry in my thoughts & prayers!

I had a good mammogram a couple of weeks ago. Still on the herceptin chemo & now my oncologist thinks I'll be on it for 2 years total (thru August 2007).

Take care, Terri

Anonymous said...

All I have to say is that you are an amazing woman! Stay strong.