Wednesday, March 30, 2005

All in all a good day! Axillary lymph nodes removed

This is an email I got from my sister today:

"Your journal was MISSED today but u were MISSED more. no email buddy today for me. i work thurs and friday.can call me at work." adios moe

I know that my family especially sat by their phones today for the news that Barry would be spreading. And also all my friends, both old and new. And to fellow survivors that have come into my life recently.

I wasn't going to post today but Barry just asked if I had, and so here it goes from what I remember:

Barry and I got to Edgewood Hospital at 11 a.m. and were greeted so kindly as in the past. I'm an old timer now, 3 surgeries in 1 month. No wonder I'm whipped, but I am able to tell you about it. I was told by one of the anesthetists Steve that Chris, my favorite anesthetist was working with another patient. But he had left instructions with his co-worker that if I would like him to do me (what an offer) that they could switch places and he would come to my side. I assured Steve that it was nothing against him, but I might "have to walk" if Chris were not there! He totally was OK with Chris being assigned to me and was going to tell Chris.

One of the nurses went to put my IV in the same area that was used previously but... she had some difficulty and that became an OUCH. I could feel the sweat on my forehead as I pushed my bangs up to top of head. Am very thankful that Steve jumped in to help her out. Putting IV's in is a very hard and touchy thing to do. No one's fault, just happens sometimes. A nurse by the name of Nancy walked by and saw me in distress and said to me -"It looks like you need to be distracted." and started to do a funny dance. She then came to me and placed her nice cold hands on my cheeks and then on the back of my neck. That felt like a million dollars. From my first meeting her, she had told me that her hands were always cold. And boy, they were a gift from God today. She reminds me for some reason of my mother-in-law Kathy.

Chris stopped by with nice smile on his face. Sure does have a nice bedside manner. Before I knew it, Chris had the vials of good meds in his hand and quickly in the IV. Didn't even see him do it, but after a second I looked at him and asked if he had injected the sedation. He surely had and boy was it fast acting. That was the end of pre-op and the beginning of surgery.

Surgery lasted approximately 1 hr. and 20 minutes according to Barry. I spoke briefly to Dr. Henwood in recovery, and he assured me that I could stay in a hospital room for couple of hours if need be to get up to speed to go home. I had a more difficult time coming out of anesthesia today. It could have been due to longer surgery than the others. I was also told by Barry that I had some kind of heater blowing under my sheets to keep me warm as I had been shivering. That felt good. I did have it shut off eventually. After coming to, unlike the other 2 surgeries, my breast didn't hurt. Now isn't that a miracle. Perhaps this is due to the fact that my underarm area was involved this time!

I decided to stay for some time in a hospital room and had dinner there. Got to the room at about 3 p.m., went to bathroom (muchly needed) and got myself back into bed. The nurse showed Barry how to drain the J-drain, which was done a couple of times while I was there. The staff in the in patient area were also very nice and comforting to me. There was a new nurse there Jeannie who was there for her 2nd day on the job. I told her that I've been to the hospital more days than she has!

I rested until dinner (not sleeping, but just being able to think positive thoughts/thanking God for such wonderful care today) which was chicken francaise, asparagus and new potatoes. The IV was eventually disconnected and I was able to leave the hospital after dinner.

As soon as I got home, I called to speak with Tim at Ben's house. He was very happy that I was home. Wanted to make sure that he could still sleep at Ben's house!

And since so many people are cheering me on, I felt the need to send an email to all just to say briefly that I was home. Thanks so much for your continued prayers and positive energy. I'm nice and comfy now in one of Barry's old work shirts, with my J drain tucked in my bra.

And as they say in Mexico, Dad: Adios for the day.

No comments: