Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Tell work that I have cancer

It was a restless night. As I drove to work, I had tears in my eyes. How was I going to tell Michelle that I had cancer? I got to work, turned on my pc and then Michelle came in to office. I think I immediately blurted it out to her. In my head I wanted so much to talk to Linda Evans, a person at the bank that had breast cancer. As others in the department came to work, it became obvious to them that I had bad news.

When Linda Evans came in at about 8:30, Michelle took me to her office and we shared a hug.
It was comforting to have someone that has been through this to be able to talk to.

After many tears, it is amazing how good people can be in difficult times. Even Matt, a new employee in the dept. came over and gave me a hug. This is from a guy who never would usually do such a thing.

I remember Carrie (a co-worker) ask me why I was at work. My only answer was that I needed to be at work. Needed to be kept busy.

It was only a short time since I heard the word cancer, but so many people are praying for me and emailing me. Am so thankful for family and new friends. New friends who are sharing their own personal stories of survival from this dreaded disease.

I believe it was my cousin Diane who said this to me: hang out with only positive people, positive attitude. She said that being positive is so important in the handling of this disease.

No comments: