Friday, March 18, 2005

Meet with Dr. Henwood about options

Barry and I met with Dr. Henwood to go over options. A second surgery will need to be done any way. While we were at the doctor's office, Dr. Henwood consulted over the phone with Dr. Garrow. The type of cancers were discussed. I had my cheat sheet of questions, along with some knowledge that I had gained from different websites. Linda Evans and others had given me a wealth of information to look up on the web. Am thankful for any input. Knowledge can only make you stronger. Today's weight: 141 lbs.

I decided, since it has to be my own personal decision, to have the lumpectomy. To go back in to get a clear margin. Cancer free area. Trying to save the breast is what one wants to do first.
And if not a clear margin, a third surgery would be done. This could involve removing lymph nodes and/or mastectomy. Can't believe that I am saying these words like they are everyday words.

Since the type of cancer I have is an invasive/aggressive cancer, Dr. Henwood ordered three tests at UPMC on Monday in preparation for the surgery.

Barry and I had so much to think about. We ended up going to lunch at Olive Garden. Since it was a Friday, I had shrimp scampi which was out of this world. Along with lemonade.

No comments: