Friday, June 01, 2007

2nd chemo is complete!

Lisa drove me to my surgeon's office before my chemo treatment, and the area that I had the biopsy is healing perfectly. I questioned if I could have a port installed near my collarbone for chemo, and he said it would not be an issue. Just confirm with my oncologist. My concern was the location of the tumor, perhaps being too close to the area where ports are put under your skin. I'll explain ports another day... My oncologist said fine, so I will contact the surgeon next week. Does as an oupatient and is beneficial when you have so many times IV being used on your arm/veins. And I only am able to use one arm due to lymph nodes removed on the other.

I received Taxol again today. Dr. G. said that the first treatment does cause the symptoms I had talked about, lack of energy. But hopefully this one will be better. I did get some boost energy drinks from them as samples. Plus I've been told by another cancer survivor about a berry drink, a short 4 letter word, but damned if I can remember it! Will check that out also. Had blood work before hand to check my counts/hemoglobin/platelets etc. All in the acceptable range, but have dropped some since last week. Didn't take that long to happen. I've been approved for avasten and will have that drug next Friday. I was also given my first treatment of Zometa.

Being on ZOMETA Therapy

ZOMETA is an FDA-approved prescription drug developed by Novartis Oncology. It is used to treat patients with multiple myeloma. ZOMETA is also used to treat other cancers—including breast‚ lung and prostate cancer—that have spread to the bones‚ a process called bone metastasis. When cancer has spread to the bone‚ treatment with ZOMETA helps to protect bones and may reduce or delay such complications as:

Bone fracture
Need for radiation and/or surgery to bone
Spinal cord compression

Even patients who have already experienced bone complications from the spread of cancer to the bones may be helped by treatment with ZOMETA.

ZOMETA is used with cancer treatments such as radiation‚ hormonal therapy‚ or chemotherapy.

To help manage your treatment‚ see additional ZOMETA Patient Resources.

If therapy with ZOMETA is recommended for you‚ here are some things you should know.

ZOMETA is given as an intravenous infusion every 3 to 4 weeks. You may receive it at your doctor’s office or at a clinic or infusion center. The infusion takes at least 15 minutes once ZOMETA is prepared.

-------------------

Dr. G. mentioned to me the possiblilty of a fever tomorrow night from the zometa drug. Just to be on lookout for it.

It was a learning experience for Lisa, who like others including myself, had only heard the words "receiving chemo". She was able to see first hand what that actually means. I am hoping to bring my camera to the next treatment, if I remember to do so. Would like once again to document the process in a personal way. Am anticipating hair loss probably by next Friday. Will once again shave my head to take charge of this situation.

After I got home and took a couple hr. nap, we went to calling hours at about 5:30 p..m for Becky's step dad. That was on my to do list no matter what today. She has been a great support system like so many of our friends. My sympathy is extended to them.

Went home, heated up sgetti and meatballs that Meg had made for us and they were so good. Lisa even brought over some hamloaf "balls" specially made for Tim, along with an Amish friendship loaf of bread. Life is good.

Wanted to do something tonight since for a change I'm feeling myself. Ended up just staying put. Feeling thankful to God for this moment. I'll take each moment that is given to me. And after having some crappy days this week, boy do I feel good right now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

was the drink "Acai" ? It is a great berry, and we have it at our store... I will get you one to try if that is it....
Aileen