Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Bald is beautiful...

I started to lose the hair last Thursday, but have been procrastinating in shaving it. In the back of my head, I was thinking I needed to have hair to go see my family this coming weekend. But as I was taking my son to get his hair cut tonight and talking with him, he spoke the correct words to me: "Mom, it didn't bother you before when you were bald. So why worry about it now." Kids seem to know just what to say.

Had been getting tired of hair in tub drain and in sink, even at my desk at work. So, like 2 years ago (check out May 25 ish, 2005 blog archive for pics) I called my friend Retta to shave it off. Just talk to cancer patients and most will agree that shaving if off before it comes off in clumps is called taking control. You take control, not the damn cancer. But unlike last time, I shed no tears. Feels a bit liberating. It's amazing how much strength you get when in difficult situations. Am thankful that I'm not into vanity.

Just need to get my hats back and to borrow the scarves once again from my buddy Jody. Boy, those scarves have been on many chemo heads.

So tomorrow I walk with my head high and continue to be my old self with a new hairdo.

PS. Thanks for bloggin' me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

No matter what, you stand so courageously with great grace and wisdom. God does place people around us.
I hope you enjoy your weekend coming up with family.
bj

Anonymous said...

Hi Luv
The KNOTTS FAMILY, wants to see YOU (and how), why worry about your condition!!!!
Like two years ago, wont be long before your back to your normal self.
We cant wait to enjoy YOU AND FAMILY.
Another cold day on the cape, only 59 now. Damn EAST wind.
Well try and warm it up (along with you warming US up) for the Saturday arrival.
Dad

Anonymous said...

Jane - have a safe, fun trip! Just enjoy yourself and EAT. I can almost smell the salt air.

I'll try to have those bandanas for you when you return .... Ann has them and is on vay-kay.

Love, JK

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you get to go away to see your family. Perfect timing. I bet your family can't wait to see you. Nothing beats a get together with family. Enjoy your time away. We hope you can really relax and get in some good family visits. Tell your parents a big hello from me. We will be here when you return.
love ya
becky

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane, Great pictures again. It is so good to read them and keep in touch with your illness. It makes it easier to talk to you face to face about it instead of not knowing what to say.
You have a wonderful time with your family. I am glad it is this week because Ben will be busy with bible school and won't have too much time to miss TIM. I am so glad that they have been keeping each other company. I think it is good for both of them.
I hope to see great pictures of The Cape once again.

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Jane,

You're such an inspiration! Your strength and humor are amazing. I hope your trip to the cape is a wonderful one! Enjoy, J