Thursday, September 29, 2005

Approved by drug company!

Today is one of the good days. We had our building meeting today, usually held every other month. And at the end of the meeting I was recognized by the Executive V.P. Louise L. She started off by saying that she would like to recognize one of our workers. A person who always has a smile and who will be ending her treatment next Wednesday, Oct. 5. Can't remember every word she said but I was truly surprised. She is a one of a kind person, a truly caring boss who has seen me in some of my darkest moments. Her husband is also fighting this dreaded disease.
And then everyone applauded me as I got up and we hugged each other. What a special moment. Later in the afternoon I went to her office to thank her personally. She told me that of all things, that I inspire her. Can you believe that. Truly touched my heart. I explained to her that others have done the same for me including another woman at the bank called Linda E. Another breast cancer survivor.

When I went for my radiation today, I stopped to see our social worker Brenda. She motioned for me to come in to her office. She actually was on the phone with Barry. She had just got word from the maker of the drug thalidomide that we were approved for them to provide the drug to Barry! We are so grateful to Dr. Garrow, Brenda and Celgene (the maker of the drug) for giving Barry the opportunity to use this drug. We don't know if the drug will have positive outcome, but we need to try it. Barry's life is too precious not to have this opportunity.

I couldn't wait to go back to work and tell everyone the good news. After I told my dept., a new co-worker Cortney asked me some questions about my cancer and what chemo was all about. I eventually gave her one of my own calling cards that give my blog address. I told her that I have pictures of me receiving IV chemo. You see this is why I take pictures. If I can educate just one person that's great. Seeing something that one may only hear about is educating that person. Since I heard I had cancer I seem to want to tell everyone some part of my story. And when I have a chance, I try to tell smokers I know to please stop smoking. Often I tell them to come to a chemo treatment just to see the consequences. But I do realize, that I can't change people but I can still love them.

So as you can see, today is a bit brighter with this news.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jane, what a good day for the both of you....and here's to many, many more......gerry

Anonymous said...

What awesome news! I'm so glad to hear Barry is approved. That surely puts you both on a well-deserved high.

How wonderful that you were recognized at your job. You inspire EVERYONE, Jane, in all you do. Kudos!

Great pics of the Amlettes. Surprised they let you take their picture! Love, J

Anonymous said...

Well Jane, good things happen to good people and you are definitely good people (the three of you)! Am so glad you are receiving such good news on Barry's meds. That's is awesome. You truly deserve it. And you truly deserved being recognized at work. It's a good thing! Love Mary Lou

Anonymous said...

Barry told me the good news yesterday about the drug company and I was so happy for all of you. You have no idea how you have educated others. I mentioned it to Barry yesterday, but thought you should know too.

Anonymous said...

HoooAhhhhhhh!!!!

From the 2nd Marine Division, 1st Expeditionary Force, BLT, Charlie Company, 2nd Platoon, 3rd Squad.

Semper Fi!!!!!!!!!