Tuesday, September 20, 2005

What is a dosimetrist? Answer to follow...

Sorry I didn't post yesterday.....Becky commented to me at soccer game this p.m.

After my daily dose of radiation today (I believe it was my 26th rad), I met with a dosimetrist and my radiation oncologist. Now you may say, what is a dosimetrist? Because that's what I said. Here is the definition:

___________________________


The medical dosimetrist is a member of the radiation oncology treatment and planning team. Dosimetrists have the expertise to measure and generate radiation dose distributions and calculations under the direct supervision of the radiation physicist and the radiation oncologist.

Dosimetrist
The main duties include:

performing computations to deliver a prescribed dose to a defined tumor volume
supervising and/or assisting in the preparation of beam modifying devices and treatment aids necessary to carry out the planned treatment
supervising the therapists in the implementation of the treatment plan
assisting the radiation physicist in quality assurance and radiation protection programs when necessary
assisting in brachytherapy implants, including calculation of doses
Dosimetrists may be involved in clinical research for the development and implementation of new techniques. They must have good communications skills to relay information between the oncologist, physics department, and the treating therapists. Some teaching of dosimetry to students is necessary. The dosimetrists must stay current on continuing change in the profession.

____________________________

Basically both of them marked up my breast like a road map with a permanent blue marker (which then marked up my bra..). And this is the area that will be "boosted" with radiation starting this Friday. I have to avoid soap and creams on this area, don't want the markings to disappear. Each day they will reinforce them. It is the area of my incision and where the cancer was removed. I'm not sure how many rads will be given to me, perhaps about 5 treatments. So, I'm on the home stretch.

I went to work quite pleased in knowing this. But at the same time I was excited for myself, my thoughts are with Barry. Hard to be truly excited for myself with the uncertainty of Barry's condition. Mixed emotions for sure. As always, the uncertainty/waiting is the worst part. I continue to look forward and have faith that it will all work out.

After work I was able to see Tim play soccer. He's grown so much this year: physically and emotionally. Like last night's game, he got a goal and an assist. I'm very proud of him.

No comments: