Tuesday, May 22, 2007

It's back.......

Yes, the cancer is back. Not the words I wanted to hear but the words I expected to hear. The same cancer name, recurrence of breast cancer but in different location. Beneath the sternum (chest bone) coming out around the side pertruding through my chest. About 4 c.m. in size. Not surprised, knew it in my gut. You don't have a large growth coming out of your chest 2 years from breast cancer for no reason at all. Shed no tears while talking to oncologist, had already shed some past week or so.

Additional testing is being done on the tissue.

The Plan:

Chemo will begin this Friday with two drugs. Taxol and avastin, plus a drug for super bone strength. Can't remember the name. Wonder why? Chemo every Friday for 3 weeks, then off the 4th Friday. No delay, starting right away. Hair loss once again, plus possible neuropathy and skin irritations (acne on face). Will have to get my hats back and scarves borrowed from Jody again.

They say 1 in 7 get breast cancer. Am still wondering why some get it twice.

I've shed some tears this p.m. once again, but I do have a plan. I return back to work tomorrow for a couple of days and then chemo on Friday. With chemo on Fridays I can rest 2 days on the weekends. I did it once before, and I hope to continue to hold my head high during this period. Bottom line is there is no cure for cancer. All it takes is one cell, and mine was probably tucked away under my chest bone in a lymph node.

Thanks for your continued thoughts and prayers. Believe me, I don't know how people can make it through this shit without faith.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though I have not posted anything for a very long time, I still have kept reading your blog. I am so sorry to hear that the cancer has returned. You and your husband have been so strong. You will be able to do this also. I understand that those drugs are very successful in treating reoccurences. I will pray for all of you.
Ann Parow

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane .... gonna give you a call in a few minutes but before I did wanted to check your blog.

You know how sorry I am that you are facing this yet again. The reasons are impossible to understand. I believe the Lord only gives us what we can handle. He must have a lot of faith in YOU as well as you having faith in Him. He has a plan. Trying to understand His plan is the hard part. Like you, I cannot imagine facing this disease without the Lord and trusting Him. Knowing Christ, with cancer you win either way.

I am so encouraged to hear that you'll be on Avastin as well. Ann really has had success with it. Praise God they do have other options.

Reading that you are going back to work and are going to work through treatment again is a testimony to your fighting spirit. Ain't nothin' gonna break your stride .....

Love you, friend. Expect a call from me momentarily ....

JK

Anonymous said...

...who you are, is not defined by cancer.

You define who you are. Cancer is ancillary to who you are.

You are a wonderful, enlightened, sensitive and caring person who sees the beauty and wonder in her son’s prom as she enters a phase of her life that is another test of her character.

A character that will survive and blossom.

Hey, you ARE a character.

Love, hugs, and Druid prayers.

TimBa

Anonymous said...

Everytime I read your blog I am amazed at the person you have become. I am even more amazed the great friends you have amassed. You are truly blessed and I am blessed to know you. I, as all of your friends will be, am right at your side through this difficult time. Hang in there Jane. God Bless you, Barry and Tim. Love Mary Lou