Saturday, October 13, 2007

7 days on Xeloda

7 days on Xeloda and no side effects. Yeah. On to the next 7 days and then I will be off for ONE week.

Past couple mornings I've had some spotting show up on my t-shirt as I slept. Coming from incision area. Friday a.m. about 4 small spots, same last night. I did see a nurse yesterday a.m. after I had blood drawn (which was perfect!). Her comments made me a bit upset. Basically she looked at a distance, said "that's cancer" and to "follow up with your doctor, Dr. Brufsky." I felt as if I was being pushed aside. She told me that one usually does not have 2 oncologists due to different opinions. I would still be getting blood draws every week. This comment shocked me, but perhaps I shouldn't be shocked. I did call Dr. Brufsky's office and spoke to his nurse who told me yes, that you can have 2 oncologists. She offered to call Dr. G.'s office for me, I said forget it. If an odor comes from the site, or if there is leakage of puss to go immediately to ER as this could mean infection.
I can't wait to go to Pittsburgh on Wednesday. A chance for 2 different doctors to see what I'm experiencing. And as my boss said to me, if and when you need to be checked out by doctor, go. Don't worry about the job. And I have to agree with her, you can't beat the city for healthcare.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That nurse had absolutely no right making that diagnosis of "that's cancer too". That is completely unprofessional and uncouth.

I'd get her name and file a complaint. Not only was her bedside manner negative, but she in a nurse (more likely a phlebotomist) and it sounds to me like sour grapes. You are you, and if you want to have two oncologists working to save your life than that is your business not hers. She crossed the line. Uncompassionate people like her do not deserve to work in that department. OK ... I'm done venting.

I'll be praying that Wednesday comes quickly for you Jane, that your incision site heals, and especially that you find peace of mind.

Love you, JK

Anonymous said...

Jane,
Let me just sayI am so glad you are going to Pittsbugh. Jodi, you are so right. I can't believe that such an uprofessional and "uneducated" remark was made to someone going through so much. And, YES, indeed many people fighting the fight sometimes have two or three oncologists helping them and get many opionions. Praying for your Wednesday appointment to come fast.
bj