Sunday, October 28, 2007

Scab comes off....crap

The scab that was on my incision area of tumor had barely been holding on by a thread. Yesterday that was noticeable when I went to change the gauze bandage. So when I got up this a.m. to undress, the new gauze bandage was completely covered in blood. Not something I like to see, especially in a.m. I'm not a blood type person.
So I took it off to replace it, but as it was being replaced it was dripping blood which made me nervous. Not heavy, but still dripping. Called the Pittsburgh hospital and left message for doctor on call to call me. Within 3 minutes a doctor returned my call. Explained my upcoming surgery and she said to double up on the gauze and to apply pressure on the area. So I did as I was told, layed down on couch. I'm just days aware from having this "alien" thing removed, so close. Don't need any infection. And since this scab has come off, there's a consistent stinging feeling probably due to area being open. Just taking tylenol for it. This doctor said she would notify my surgeon tomorrow about my phone call.

Probably did what I shouldn't have, but did pull up the tomato stakes and plants. So the vegetable part of garden is cleaned out. Still have about 200 bulbs to plant for spring. This will more likely be done by Tim and a buddy as I won't be up to doing it. Kids do like extra bucks in their wallets.

Well, for dessert tonight I went out with a couple of good friends to celebrate my upcoming surgery, Lisa and Joanne. I know the next couple of days will fly.

I have a phone call in to our priest as I would like the Blessing of the Sick before the surgery. It is major surgery and I think I would feel better by having this done.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane - coming down to the wire I'm sure it is frustrating to have that scab come off now of all times. Hope your doctor calls early today with words of encouragement.

I know how anxious you are about Thursday; I'm praying for you to feel you have the loose ends sewn together. Going into surgery and knowing you'll be "out of commission" for a while can be mentally exhausting when you think about all you need to accomplish beforehand.

Good for you for pulling up the tomato stakes! My theory is: if you feel well enough to do it, then do it. "Normal life" routines are sometimes the best therapy, especially mental.

Hope you are feeling better this morning, and glad you got to go out and share some goodies with some friends. :-)

Much love, JK

Anonymous said...

Jane....good luck Thursday....you'll be in all of our thoughts and prayers. Take care....Gerry and family

Anonymous said...

Jane,
Thinking of you and praying for you as each day passes and time carries you to Thursday. I know Fr. Phil will be there for you and it is a good idea to get the blessing. Many prayers for you from the church and many from those you know and those you don't.
Sweets always lift the spirits especially when shared with friends.
hugs,
bj