Friday, October 05, 2007

A long but productive day for me

Will write more later. Pooped as we just got home.

This is my next possible treatment plan, if insurance pays:

http://www.neuronet.pitt.edu/neuro_oncology/cyberknife.html

One treatment lasts about 1 to 1/12 hrs. and will be done at Shadyside. Dr. there has been faxed all my papers. And then I would just take chemo pills, no IV chemo as that causes the low white counts more than the pills.

Nap time for me now.

UPDATED INFO: 8:30 p.m.************************

Barry and I left for Pittsburgh at 7 a.m. Had to get there at least by 9:15 to fill out insurance paperwork, which basically was just a quickie. The actual appt. was for 10 a.m. Vitals were taken, my blood pressure was high, and then we were put in a room at about 9:50 a.m. After about 45 mins. a resident doctor came in to go over medical history and such. We didn't meet Dr. Brufsky until almost 11:30ish. Sort of lost track of time since we had been in room for such long time. Very nice man, pretty up to date on my medical history and treatments, then and now. I learned at least one thing today from 2 doctors I saw. Both asked me at different appts. about the color of the skin near the tumor, has it always been that color? Dark. I told them that was a question I had asked Dr. Garrow but never got a real answer from him. Their explanation is this: darkness shows that the tumor is attempting to go through the skin. Perhaps he's been trying to protect me from all the truth.

Dr. Brufsky's recommendation is this: meet with their radiation oncologist director right after this meeting to discuss radiation possibilities. 2nd.: stop taking taxotere IV chemo and just take the Xeloda pills. Taxotere is more harmful to the white blood cells than the pills. Yes, the pills have their own side effects that I've seen, but it will be a matter of getting the correct dosage for me. He ended the appt. by giving me his business card with his email address on it. Barry told him that he's made a friend for life with that! Seems very open to receiving questions via email, wants Dr. Garrow to email him soon to go over the consultation.

We then met with the radiation oncologist Dr. Beriwal after going through medical history of radiation treatment in 2005 with Dianne, Collarborative Practice Nurse. Exceptionally friendly nurse with the ability to communicate even by a tender touch to your leg. Barry informed her of his cancer and like so many others was amazed at how well we are handling the situation. Totally amazed at our attitude. One question had to do with sexual intercourse, we both laughed and said basically "that's not in our vocabulary for past 2 years.!" Liked our honesty.
Dr. Beriwal came in and had already gone over my records. Since I already had radiation in part of the area near the new tumor, that type of radiation can not be done again. Once is all you can have it. But there is new advanced focused radiation performed by a robotic type machine that is in only certain hospitals. Called cyber knife. A lot of insurance companies will not pay for it. So that will be our next hurdle. The hospital that actually does this procedure has already been faxed all my paperwork. It will require a couple of visits to Shadyside to prepare for this radiation which takes about 1 1/2 hrs. not like before when you go daily for a minute or two. Heavy dosage aimed directly had tumor, being careful not to hit lungs. As we left the radiation unit, Dianne gave me her business card and I gave her my blog address. A hug followed. My kind of person. Just another angel walking among us. By the way, I saw for the first time the tumor and location. Probably about 5 cm. now. Preparation involves placing some metal markings inside where the tumor is for easy calculation of aiming the machine. Will be doing research on computer for more information.

So today was very productive, tiring also. Didn't leave hospital until about 2 ish, then got a bite to eat in strip district for first time. Home at 4:30 p.m. As my sister would say, lots of input to soak in. And still so many questions to ask.

Didn't go to football game tonight. Both stayed home to rest. Am pleased that we did go for this second opinion. am sure local dr. will be doing weekly blood work for the Pittsburgh doctors involved for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jane, I am so glad you went "south" for another opinion. How encouraging to hear you are a candidate for this cyberknife option. To get more information and answers to your questions is just what you needed. I hope that this helps your emotional level -- knowing you HAVE another option and more physicians who you consider angels on your side. God bless you! I will pray that your insurance OKs this, and that it is productive in the fight of your tumor.

Perhaps it was a blessing in disguise that Barry's treatment was postponed so that he could go with you. God works in mysterious ways. :-)

Love you, JK