Thursday, October 18, 2007

A tiring day with lots of output.....

I went to work today and so many people were concerned about my trip to see the doctors. So i filled them in when I could. Still had the ache going up my neck from the night before. Probably stress related. Aleve wasn't helping. All day I couldn't wait to get home and to hop into bed. Even Barry was pooped today from coming with me, and being my driver. Whatever I'm going through, he is going through. Right before leaving work I got message from radiologist who handles the cyberknife equipment and was told that insurance WAS NOT going to cover the procedure after all. Hence, one less decision for source of treatment. Message mentioned that I would be sent for traditional radiation to a dr. I met last week. But you know, this is not an option I'm going to take. Just because radiation only would shrink it, not destroy the tumor. And I may end up with whole where the tumor was radiated, infection could come. Now my decision has been made to be aggressive, go for the surgery. Since hearing the words and explanation of treatment and pain, I thought of my friend JK who has had two mastectomies with reconstruction surgery due to breast cancer. Yes, painful but necessary.

Came home and was in bed within 10 mins. Next thing I knew it was 8:30 and I thought I had overslept in the a.m. Weirdest feeling. Saying ooops, I'm going to be late for work. And then couldn't remember what day it was. Left room only to find Tim also in his bed sleeping. Never heard him come home from soccer. Had to eat late dinner so I could take chemo pills, and now I'm just updating my life as so many people have been concerned. Within the next week I'll be having PT/CT scans in Hillman, MRI of brain at local UPMC hospital. Ruling out that the cancer has not got up and run elsewhere. Surgery would be long day with different types of drs. working on me. In hospital for a week, recovery about 4 weeks at home.

Well, still pooped and headed to bed right after I pop my pills.

Night and thanks to all for ALL your concern.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jane:

That irritates me that you were misinformed about your insurance covering the cyberknife. I hope they explained to you how the mixup occurred.

Thank goodness that surgery to remove the tumor - and reconstruction - is an option. Surgery, the hospital stay, reconstruction ..... that all stinks, but the cancer being GONE is priceless.

I will continue to pray for you to have strength and patience. You are running this race, and you are in the lead.