Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Cyberknife #2 yesterday

Sorry for the delay in updating my blog from yesterday. First of all, before I forget it, I'm sure you heard another person was touched by the word cancer yesterday, Sen Ted Kennedy. It touched my heart, as it does whenever I hear that word. Cancer can touch any sex, any person, rich or poor, celebrity or not a celebrity. Hopefully there will be a cure. I don't like when I read a scandal like paper, for example NY Post. On today's headline it shows his picture and the words he has cancer, 6 months to live. Nobody should read negative words like that. I once heard this statement: listen to the diagnosis, not necessarily the prognosis.
Just look at me. Positive thoughts only. I was discharged from Presby, and coming home to the possiblity of hospice. Who would have thought I'd be able to blog again?
God is in control of when we will see Him. No one else. I pray that the Kennedy family find privacy during this period. Cancer truly sucks.

Now for me.

I must say that the anticipation of cyberknife was full of anxiety. Like anything new. But my only complaint, yes I do complain, was the hard head rest. My mask is connected to that area. Still unable to move my head for my own protection. I get to listen to XM radio, and yesterday I chose the 80s. Songs were more familiar. I mentioned the discomfort to the technician, and he placed some bubble wrap (small) on the head rest area. It worked for about 25 mins. and then I had to raise my hand to get his attention. And if I'm not being radiated, he will come into room and ask me what I want. I then got up, and placed a thin cloth of some kind in the place of the bubble wrap. It can't be thick as it would interfere with the mask, making it tight on my face. Tomorrow I'll ask for both, the bubble wrap and a cloth. I don't think that will be too thick. Of the whole treatment, this discomfort is my only complaint. My back of my head bothers me. I do take anxiety pills before the treatment. By the way, I'm taking the camera with me (as if you didn't know this was going to happen!) I've told him about my blog and educating others. He said it was no problem. The robotic arm circles my head and goes through a series of positions. And as it is in front of me, I say to it "Go ahead, blast away all the bad stuff. Give it to me. I can take it." I look at the eye of the machine and this is what I think.

Today I had two therapy sessions. Busy day.

I continue not to drive. Still under pain meds. When I have follow up visit with rehab doctor on June 18th I will ask him when I can drive. Right now I'm still having issues with my right arm, the range of motion has improved but still has some more to go. And I wouldn't feel comfortable driving at this time. It's a safety issue, for me and others on the road. I still climb stairs, aware of each step, not done naturally. But safely. Have to concentrate on the action involved. I don't need any broken bones.

I have scheduled my second chemo treatment. The first one was the weekend I was hospitalized. Everyone thought the symptoms I was going through was related to the chemo I had on Friday. So I've got it approved with my drs. in Pittsburgh that you should wait a week or two, so I'm scheduled for June 3. And can you believe that my local oncologist spoke to me personally last week. She showed concern to Barry when she was told I was in the hospital. Nice woman.

And that's that. More than a mouthful.
Again, thanks for taking the time to read my blog. It continues to be my therapy, and hopefully yours.

Update: Just saw online that Sen. Kennedy released from hospital. And home on Cape Cod where family is the best medicine! I know that first hand.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane:

How nice to read your lengthy blog. You've come such a long way, baby, with more to come!

I am glad you have your next course of chemo scheduled. That will certainly make you feel proactive again. Your strength and determination cannot be matched.

I was also dismayed to learn of Ted Kennedy's diagnosis. I hate to say it, but any more news like this is not a "shock" - (once you've been through it and realize how prevalent it is in our society nothing surprises you anymore, ya know?) It saddens me to know what his family is facing. How ridiculous of the press to state "how long" he has. NONE of us are promised tomorrow.

Much love, JK

Anonymous said...

80's music!!! rock on sister!
you looked beautiful on monday. i was so glad to see you. many thoughts and prayers your way.
~mw