Thursday, July 14, 2005

I made it to the FINISH LINE!!!

Wow. Never thought I would say that. But the chemo is done for me.

My internet was down for past day or so, and I was lost without it. But now it's up and running (for how long is another question.)

I was sitting on front steps waiting for Jody to pick me up at 9:15 a.m. It was about 9 a.m. when I was going over my notebook that I take with me to the appointments. Came upon a page that made me panic. It was about the meds that I would be taking. And the word EMEND popped out in front of me. This is the drug I take the day of chemo, and the following 2 days. I had totally forgot to get that prescription filled! For once I was not thinking chemo. Talk about panic. I went into house and immediately called the drug store. Am thankful the pharmacist knows me (frequent shopper there). She said come right down for it. Hopped in car, got the pills and raced home. Ran in the house for something to take the pill with and Jody then arrived. I couldn't believe that I had forgotten the pills. Not a good way to start the day.

I met with Dr. Garrow to review all my test results (which were good). I asked him about the night sweats (I wake up every 90 mins-2 hrs. sweating on my head very bad). Menopausal symptoms, increased due to chemo. May subside after chemo is done. We will monitor that. Suggested soy milk at bed time to start with before any prescription for me. Next week I will start once again with procrit shots for awhile since chemo is back in my system. I found out from Dr. Garrow that the neulasta shot we get the day after chemo for white blood cells cost $5,000 per shot!!! Wow. Jody took lots of pictures of me during my day meeting with the doctor and receiving the drugs. It took FIVE tries to get my IV properly inserted into vein. This was extremely intense. They must get a return blood flow once IV is inserted before the adriamycin drug is administered. Otherwise, it can't be injected into the IV. Three different nurses all had difficulty today. More stress that I didn't need today. I am so glad and thankful that Jody was with me. A true friend. She went through this 5 1/2 years ago and knows what it is all about.

After the chemo (I think it was about 2 p.m.) Jody treated me to lunch at one of my favorites restaurant. On the way home, I just put the seat back and rested my eyes. She didn't expect any conversation from me, again she knew what I was going through. I had wanted to put my jammies on right away but the phone rang. It was Adelphia wanting to come to house to check cable earlier than the original 5-7 p.m. tonight slot. I said OK and they arrived at about 4 p.m. They got the cable up and running after doing some things to the pole outside.

Got my jammies on and hit the bed. Wasn't able to fall asleep since I (here I go giving all my personal information out) had stomach ache and eventual diarrhea. Just not my day.

Have heard from my sister recently. As she and Jody say, it's done and in my system. Something to cheer about. It's just a very emotional, exhausting time. So many emotions. Thank goodness I went to the Cape to get energized before today.

Probably won't post any more today. Even though I am drained, I needed to post my inner thoughts to you. Please, if you read my journal at all, PLEASE post a simple comment today to pick my spirits up high. It's very easy to do and will mean the world to me. Don't just be a voyeur.

Again, Thanks Jody and all my angels.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing like completing what you start. "crosing the finish line" today, is one of the BIG achievments for 2005.

Anonymous said...

Jane - You're there, you did it, you made it!! I checked out your pictures, and like they say, pictures say a thousand words. My, how strong you are. :) My heart is with you, along with my continual prayers. Rest and pamper yourself for the next few days. If you need something, just call. Meg

Anonymous said...

Jane - Congratulations! Seeing you last Saturday I couldn't help but think of all the strength you give. You are truly awesome. Rest now. Love Mary Lou

Anonymous said...

Remember what your nurse said - you finished with a big BANG Jane!

You are at the point where you can anticipate all the GOOD things to come, instead of all the bad.

Before long, you'll have a soft fuzzy head and so much more energy - you'll feel WONDERFUL.

I'm sure you'll do great with radiation - and as you are going through it your hair will be coming in!

You are so strong and an inspiration to those around you. I'm so glad you are at the point where you can raise your hands in the air and cross that chemo finish line with a big smile.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you. It is such a relief when the chemo ends. You can look forward to your hair coming back - probably curly but eventually it returns back to the way it was. You have been so strong and now you are on the road to recovery.
Ann

Anonymous said...

...you've just crossed into the inner harbor of your journey and the rough seas are behind you. Now, you can enjoy the smooth, calm waters on the future.