Friday, August 05, 2005

Mammogram/sonogram/biopsy

I had 3 mammogram pictures done, followed by another 3 mammogram pictures of the left breast this morning. I then had a sonogram done. The right breast is the one that had cancer. The radiologist (I believe the same radiologist I had from last year who said I had enlarged gland which turned out to be cancer) told me that the 2 cysts that are showing up today have always been there from the May 2004 reports. Both cysts are smaller in size. He told me that if they were cancer they would be larger or the same size. My reply to him was that I just came through 12 weeks of chemo and that could have caused shrinkage. He said that if I was concerned about them that he could write in his report and say that they could be aspirated/biopsied. I told him I was concerned after all I had been through. I asked him if he could do the additional procedure now. Even though he was to only have worked 1/2 day, he said he could. I was grateful. He then aspirated the areas and sent the samples to be checked out. I'm not sure when the results will be back.
Perhaps in the past I would have accepted his answer as just that. But this is my body and I had to be demanding. And for the first time I got to see the pictures of the growth which turned out to be cancerous. I wanted this radioligist to see what they wrote in their report and to know that it turned out to be cancer.

I was there for over 2 1/2 hrs. By the time I left there I knew that I could not go back to work. When they aspirate the areas, this is done with long needle. And the needle does not always just pop the area. It was a bit painful. Along with that, it was very emotional. I couldn't wait to get home. I called my job and said that I was going home.

I was able to nap for about 2 hrs. on and off.

I'm hearing the band from the house now. The band returned from band camp and they are getting ready the show at 7 p.m. They've worked hard all week.

That's it for now. A long day.

Tim's band performance was very good. It proved how hard they worked for the week. He made many new friends (and it seems most are girls!). His new name is Hot Lips, given to him by his senior buddy. As we were leaving a few girls were calling him by that new name. His voice has gotten so deep these past days. My son is growing up so fast. It's good to have him home. And he was glad to walk into an air conditioned home.

No comments: