Saturday, October 08, 2005

Touching others is what it's all about..

Since Barry had his chemo yesterday, he wasn't able to sleep much last night. Went to bed at about 5 a.m., just worked on his computer rather than toss and turn in bed. Even with his new drug which is supposed to cause sleepiness, the steroid was stronger. Then he got up at 10:30 a.m. to take Tim dirtbiking.

Tim went dirtbiking with his buddies today for a few hours. One of his friends Josh F. had moved to Tennessee and came to visit for a couple of days. So the kids were able to spend time with him.

While he was gone, Barry and I went to butcher and got some groceries. And had a quick bite to eat.

After we picked up Tim we went to local Amish stand to buy a pumpkin and some fresh veggies. Actually were able to buy some tomatoes still. As we were standing at the stand, the Amish man said he thought he knew us from before. Said that in the spring at his greenhouse, he had met a woman going through breast cancer, along with her husband who had shaved his head in solidarity. I told him that it was not us. I could tell by his tone of the conversation that he was really interested in our story. We explained the situation and he brought up the fact that his wife is having a procedure this week to see if she has breast cancer. He was full of questions: should someone go through chemo and radiation? was one of them. Told him that going through treatment was better than dying. And that the uncertainty/waiting for a diagnosis is very hard. I also told him that God gives you the strength to go through these trials. He mentioned that his wife Nancy had spoke about this earlier couple to him, wishing she could talk to that woman about breast cancer. I joked with him about him not being able to go online to read my journal, and his wife not being able to call me to talk. He said that she would be able to call me and asked for my phone number. Of which I gave him.

I've realized since being diagnosed that I talk to everyone now who will listen to me about cancer. You don't know how good I felt as I left that Amish man. If you touch one person/help one person, than I think you're doing what God wants you to do. To minister. I've explained this to Tim. And it only makes me feel that perhaps helping others in the cancer field is my true calling after all these years. It's strange how things happen for a reason. Just this week I applied at a local hospital to work at the Cancer center where we've been treated. Maybe God does work in mysterious ways!

As I was cutting onions tonight, I cut my thumb. Was only a small cut. Put bandaid on it immediately, and do you know that it kept bleeding right through it. Had to put paper towel around it tightly. And it continued to bleed for about an hour. Proof that my blood counts are down a bit. First cut I've got since going through treamtment. Am thinking that is platelet related. Notice also that I bruise easier than before. My counts are not what they used to be, I'm sure of that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was a beautiful story about the Amish, Jane. The cancer center job must be your calling.
As for the black and blues you get so easily, just thought I'd share mine. I have never gone through what you've been through but I am the same age as you. I have noticed the older I get the more bruises there are.. Depending on the drugs you are taking can cause bruising......Here's a sight that might help.
http://www.medicinenet.com/bruises/article.htm
C.W.