Thursday, June 02, 2005

Round 2 of chemo DONE: 50% complete

I continued to sleep well last night. Am thankful for that. My appt. is in 3 hours and 1 hour before I take my anti nausea drug Emend. I meet with oncologist before the actual chemo to go over my blood tests and to review how I'm doing. Barry is taking me to the appointment. Already it's 57 sunny degrees. After Tim gets on bus I may even sneek back into bed for a few minutes.

PS. Never did go back to bed.

I met with Dr. Garrow before my chemo. He did explain that the headache(s) that I had last cycle are chemo related and I should just take the strong stuff like percocet for relief. Tylenol doesn't cut it. All my other blood tests (liver, etc.) also came back perfect. Good news. I then went to my 2nd round of chemo. The adriamycin takes about 15 minutes for Kendra the nurse to manually syringe it into the IV on my arm. Then the second drug is administered by IV drip for about 40 minutes. It's relatively a short period of time compared to Barry's treatment but is mentally draining for me. On the pillow beside my arm with the IV is my HOPE charm that Linda gave me. HOPE goes with me everywhere. While sitting with me, Barry was feeling his moustache and guess what: the hairs are coming out. This had been questionable as to whether he would or wouldn't lose it. He's had moustache since he's been about 18/19 years old. Will probably shave it tomorrow. Wanted to give the guys at work one last look at it! My good friend Jody told me this: "that every single hair gone signifies cancer cells GONE too!!!" A direct quote from her last night. As Barry and I left the center, we noticed our names on two Relay for Life tribute forms. Cindy C. was so kind to apparently donate monies for another ACS walk that is coming up. Thank you twice for both Barry and I. It did not go unnoticed.


After the chemo, we went to get some items at grocery store and then we went to a new Chinese buffet nearby. The food was delicious and inexpensive. I really enjoyed going out to lunch since we didn't do that the first time. A much needed treat. The only effect I was feeling after chemo was when I was shopping I started to sweat (under scarf). And now when I sweat, it's visible on top of my shiny head. Not hidden under any hair. Noticed that last night when I used hot tub for first time in awhile. On way home, the scarf was taken off quickly. I had wore a long sleeve shirt for treatment since room is often cool. I think being hot and the situation just worked against me to the point of making me feel like I was going to pass out. My sister attributed this to the drugs and not having any real food since early morning. Couldn't wait to go to bathroom (I tell it like it is, I'm truthful) where the urine comes out red (chemo drug) along with diarrhea. I immediately went to bed to crash. It was about 3 p.m.

Rested for a couple of hours and then cut up some ham for Tim's dinner. Boy, was I once again thankful for Angels on earth. I heated up some homemade chicken soup for the soul. The headache has started and I've already taken some percocet. Going to fight right back. My jammies feel so good and will head back to bed soon.

I go back to cancer center tomorrow for my neulasta shot in morning.

As I was resting, Sue who works with Barry stopped by to deliver a delicious jello creation made with whipped cream/pineapple/nuts. As they say, there is always room for jello and that was the perfect time. Heard her at the door and got up to say hi to her. Just another Angel in our lives. Headache continues but if that's all, can't really complain.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maureen is tooo funny! I can't imagine that you think that you deserve to go back to bed to grab some more shut eye! Hang in there. Love, Mary Lou

Anonymous said...

Great news about your bloodwork! Have been thinking about you all day. Half way finished! That's great! Matt and I are sending good vibes to you all. No mustache, huh? It will grow back! Love to you all.

Anonymous said...

Ohmigawd!

With no mustache and soon no hair...I can't keep the image of Barry looking like Uncle Fester, from the Adams Family, out of my head!!!

...Jane must be lovin' that thought. C'mon...Uncle Fester was one sexy looking guy. :)

Anonymous said...

WHATTA WOMAN you are Jane; updating the blog after treatment just for us folks who care about you guys! I'm so glad you are headin' downhill now! After the next one you'll be in the home stretch!

I agree that Maureen is incredibly funny - if ya don't laugh ya cry and it's much more fun to laugh! Thank goodness for family and friends like your blog buds (and beyond, I'm sure.)

Get some rest and tell Barry that I've never met him yet, so maybe I'll be the first one to officially "meet" him sans mustache!! :-) Less to shave now!

Hugs to you from a bosum bud.

Anonymous said...

It's good to hear that everything is going well with your chemo. Can't believe that you are half way there. You must pamper yourself and sleep whenever you want. Remember, if there are any cancer cells around, they are being killed. Unfortunately, some of your good cells are too so you must give your body plenty of rest to repair itself. I love your look without hair. Unfortunately, I went through this during the winter and had no choice really about wearing a wig. Your positive attitude is great and really contributes to your recovery!
Ann