Thursday, June 23, 2005

Round 3 of Chemo done for Jane: 75% done!

And as my sister Maureen wrote last night, our computer was down and I felt so lost without it. There was a problem with the modem, outdated and so Adelphia replaced it for us this a.m.

I went to chemo this morning by myself. You see, I am a big girl.

Will post all about it later. Right now I have headache but wanted everyone to know that I'm OK. One more chemo to go. Just need to lie down and rest my brain. Lots of things going on in my head right now.

Today has been a very emotional day for me. Have shed some tears. Perhaps combination of PMS and just going through this whole chemo experience. Very tiring process.

My appointment with Dr. Garrow went very well. He is so comforting to talk to. Due to my hemoglobin and hermatocrit levels in my blood work, I will be getting Procrit shots weekly for awhile. This will boost them up. This medicine does not work quickly. This is probably the reason I've been tired lately. Yesterday at work I was yawning as I was talking to someone on the line. Now I know why. I did mention to the Dr. that my right lower arm was a bit sore (the IV arm for past 2 treatments) so today I used the other arm for IV. You can not fool around with veins with any chemo treatment. The medicines used are so powerful that the veins have to be just as powerful. We also decided to stick with same anti nausea drugs, even though one of them may be the cause of my headaches. I did not want to gamble, and risk getting sick from the chemo. I also asked if I should be following up with my gynecoligist for pap smear/mammogram. He said not to at this time as the chemo would not show accurate results on pap smear. Wait until this is over. After my appt., I had to wait almost 2 hrs. for the chemo treatment to begin. This was a very tiring and stressful time for me. Just the wait and anticipation produced a headache before I even had the chemo. And the headache has continued to now.

After the chemo, I went home. Of course, I couldn't wait to pee. And of course, it was the usual red pee. Good old adriamycin (chemo). Barry, Tim and I went to local restaurant Mugsies and used a gift certificate we had received from Michelle S. a friend of ours. It was nice to enjoy the lunch together as a family. I already have the chemo mouth taste, so dry. Took some excedrin with Moutain Dew and rested for awhile. With all this caffeine I didn't sleep. Another friend Michelle (recently diagnosed with breast cancer) stopped by with a gift from a woman I met at her house last night, Sonya. She sent me a Christian CD from Michael Smith. Sonya told her that I inspired her from our brief conversation last night. Incredible friends.

Tim went to movies with some friends. I did a shopping errand and cut the back lawn while he was gone. He had already done the front yard. Stopped for some take out food on the way home.

It's now 10 p.m. and time to put my head to rest. I am so glad I have this way to vent my bad and good days. Today is a combination of both, bad emotional time but good in knowing that I have only 1 chemo to go and many friends right beside me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watta woman - going by yourself!

I would have been glad to take you Jane. We could have done lunch afterwards. Please let me take you next time if you need someone too - I'd be happy to go with you.

Get some rest and drink that Dew! Hope your headaches steer clear this time.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Jane. You're doing fantastic! I am sure chemo is just awful. Get the rest when you can. Take care, Love Mary Lou

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Jane. You're doing fantastic! I am sure chemo is just awful. Get the rest when you can. Take care, Love Mary Lou