Thursday, May 19, 2005

And now Barry's first chemo treatment

My husband Barry's first chemo treatment is today at 10 a.m. I will be going with him for support. His treatment will last a total of 4 hrs. It consists of a 4 hr. slow IV drip, unlike my chemo. It is so wonderful hearing from so many people about our journey. We certainly are not alone now. As a friend told me when I went to my first oncology appt., you will not be alone in the waiting room. Many people who love you will be beside you.

On more thing: slept so good last night. Only woke up once. Yeah.

We got to the appt. at 10 a.m., unfortunately they were running behind schedule due to people calling in sick. And since we did not know his pre-meds would take about 45 minutes to administer, just getting home at about 5:30 p.m. A very long and tiring day. Luckily Barry was able to sleep a portion of the time, but I wasn't able to do so. Barry did great! Tomorrow he goes for his neulasta shot and hopefully won't be as achy as I was last weekend. I did drop Barry off at his job for a few hours to do some paperwork and will pick him up earlier if needed.

That's it for today. A bit tired to write anymore right now. Going to lie down a bit, Tim outside cutting the lawn.

PS. I spoke to social worker today at the Center. She contacted Karen, the woman I met at the Look Good program and has told her that I would like her telephone number. When I got home today, there was a message from Karen giving me her work and home phone number. Can't wait to talk to her. Not sure how many weeks her treatment is ahead of mine.

PSS. I called Karen and spoke to her. Having cancer has given me another friend in this world. How lucky can I be? She will be doing her 2nd chemo treatment tomorrow, therefore is a couple of weeks ahead of me. She's had no side effects so far. It was great being able to talk to her and I'm sure we will keep in touch. A wonderful spirit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will be sure to send you both energy and prayers all day today but especially but especially barry between 10 and 2 today. God Bless you both. Terry

Anonymous said...

Give Barry my best. I’d be sticking knitting needles through my head if I had to sit for 4 hours with an IV drip! Unless, of course, it was a martini in the drip. :):)

Seriously, Barry will do OK, he’s got an awful lot of people pulling for him, AND he has YOU by his side. You’ll both draw from the fantastic energy you’ve been sending out.

Soon, this will all be behind you.

Love & hugs,

TimBa