Sunday, May 22, 2005

Barry feels the aches of Neulasta/chemo

Barry is now feeling the aches of neulasta/chemo. Sternum/shins/ankles. Has taken a pain pill and is feeling a bit better. Now he knows what day/s will be crummy for him. One side effect that has gone away is the tingly feeling in his fingers, that's from one of the chemo drugs.

Tim and I went out for awhile to do some shopping in Boardman. I turned around and he was sound asleep listening to his music. Don't know what made me think this, but I prayed that he continue to be strong during our treatments. And as I prayed I couldn't help but cry a bit. He's such a good and smart kid and I can't imagine what is going on in his head. No kid should have to go through such a thing. And believe me, I know of no book that is entitled "how to deal with your child when both parents have cancer." Going shopping broke up our day a bit, he was able to get some new shorts at Old Navy so he's quite content.

I've come to the conclusion that Tim's going to do just fine. How could he not, look at his parents! Just my last thoughts of the day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel for Barry and you. All the side efforts, ugh! Just keep thinking that the chemo is killing those cancer cells. By the way, you look fantastic! Love Mary Lou

Anonymous said...

Jane, you look great in the pictures! I think of Tim also and wonder what he makes of it all. I know our daughter, age 13, wouldn't discuss any part of loosing her grandmothers, and she was VERY close to both of them. I think for her, when it's just too hard to handle, she blocks it out. I don't know if that was good or bad. I didn't push the issue, and tried to leave the lines of communication open. Tim's a great kid from all that I've heard. He'll make it through with you and Barry by his side - always. I'm sorry to hear Barry's feeling the side effects now. Hang in there, and remember, all your blogger buddies are close by. Meg

Anonymous said...

Jane....Keep the faith Jane, Barry and especially, Tim..Tim is so very lucky to have you two for his parents....Great pictures, Jane...now I know what you look like. Take care, gerry

Anonymous said...

Although I’ve never HAD chemo treatments, I’ve been around some folks who have, and I give Barry and you two big thumbs up for what you’re going through. The positive energy you generate is amazing, even in the difficult times when you feel you’re depleted and worn down, you still look up and forward.

Barry has all those pasta dinners, nachos & pizza working in his favor now. Because he’s got some manly mass to him, he has the oomph to take on the chemo. I remember when I had rheumatic fever, and the two crushed discs, how joint/bone pain can alter your reality to point of seeing colors in a whole new spectrum. Oddly enough, I found the absolute intensity of it enlightening, although I couldn’t wait for it to end. It gave me a new perspective into how much I could endure, just for the sake of getting beyond it and walking again.

I’m sure both of you are focusing on the end result, and, I KNOW you will see, if not seeing right now, how it’s changing your life in a positive way.

Keep and eye on Tim and keep him informed and involved. Nothing’s scarier for a kid than not knowing what’s going on, or being shielded from the “truth” to protect him. He’s as involved, invested and connected as you guys are to the situation. From what I’ve been reading in the blog, he’s coping and dealing in his own way. It appears he’s facing this with a wisdom beyond his years and is doing OK. Keep up the good work.

Amy, Aaron, Ryan and I send you all our love.

PS…I don’t know about Ohio being God’s country…if I remember correctly, Jesus was a fisherman and walked on water, not a farmer who plowed a cornfield, so the shoreline and the coast would more accurately be called God’s Country. Besides, Jesus was a Jewish Lefty, so he most DEFINITELY would have live in a Blue state with a shoreline like Connecticut. hahahahahahahha