Friday, May 13, 2005

WE ARE SURVIVORS! And now I will explain:

I have not posted anything to this blog all day, and it's for a very good reason.

At about 4:15 p.m. yesterday, I heard the results of Barry's liver biopsy from his doctor. He called me since Barry was at work and I was allowed to hear the results of the biopsy. Once again, in less than 2 months I heard the word CANCER. Once again, I was home alone as Tim was at a track meet. I don't know how God gives you the strength but He does. After he said the word cancer, he stopped for a moment and told me to take it in. I of course cried and didn't know what to do. Should I call him at his job since I already knew he was in a foul mood from not hearing results, should I drive to his job and tell him in person or wait until he comes home at midnite. The doctor told me that he was against me driving there as I just had my first chemo treatment and should not be driving so stressed. He explained that he was on call and that when Barry got home, he could call him for the news. I left it like that, I wouldn't tell him.
CT scan of brain/head along with bone scans will need to be done on Barry.

They type of cancer is adenocarcinoma. It is on the liver, but is NOT liver cancer. The origin is probably the lungs which also had spots showing on previous scan.

At 7:30 p.m. Barry called and asked if the doctor called me with results. I asked him if he wanted the truth if he was at work. He said yes, and I told him. Actually he took it quite well. Had wished I told him earlier since his boss had just left and many other employees were concerned about the results.

When he came home a few hours later, we hugged and knew the next day would yield a lot of questions. I then went to bed.

All the above happened yesterday.

Today:

Busy and productive day. By 8:30 a.m. the doctor had lined up all tests needed to be done. Time was for 10 a.m. We then went to see his boss to talk in person to. Went to lunch at Hickory Grill since we didn't make it there yesterday. Went to a 1 p.m. appt. with Dr. Garrow, OUR oncologist for consultation. I also had follow up appt. for my first chemo treatment along with the neulasta shot to build up white blood cells. Side effects will be achey bones which means the drug is working and building up bone marrow.

Barry's treatment will be the following and will start next THURSDAY:

He will go through 3 cycles of chemotherapy with an IV of Taxol and Carboplatin. It will take about 4 hrs. for each treatment. It has to go in slowly. It is a very potent drug combination.
Should not need anti nausea pills like I take for 3 days. Will go in next day for neulasta like I do.
After the 3 cyles, additional CT scans will be taken to see if tumor has shrunk. This will determine if treatment will be continued. He reiterated that he does not have liver cancer, cancer cells have settled on/near liver from other place. Most like lungs. We don't worry about the source as we will be fighting it with even more powerful drugs.

It's been a very long day for both of us. And of course, we had to tell Tim once again that terrible word. But you know. I think we will all make it. I know we will make it.

Barry's attitude has even changed. Past 3 weeks he appeared doomed, but with a diagnosis and treatment plan the unknown is now known. That makes all the difference.

Have told my family and close friends, and they don't know how I am getting through this. I have shed tears today but can't continue to cry. Negative energy and a son to be a role model to. And if you're not walking, you're not going anywhere. It's by the grace of God that I/We will make it.

Please continue to pray for us.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've checked your blog all day. My heart sunk when I heard the news about Barry. I figured you needed time as a family to absorb all that's been happening, then reunite and come back strong. It sounds like that's just what you've done! I just want you to know that Pete and I are available for anything you may need help with. (meals, laundy, rides, getting out, talking with, etc.) Please don't EVEN hesitate or think twice. There are a lot of people at work that will be there for both of you. Meg

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys…
Well, your paths are set…up and forward. The worst part of all this was the uncertainty. Now you can deal with beating it and resuming your lives.

Jane, you’ve got the best attitude and that’s what will guide you through and beyond this. This will be a watershed of life affirming experiences. Oddly enough, some of my most memorable and intense moments in life were often the most painful. They taught me to enjoy the most mundane things and appreciate the daily doings of life.

Barry, remember all those times we rode in the rain, especially the Hatteras and Mt. Washington trips, when it sucked so bad and we were soaked to the bone? While it was happening all I could think of was hanging on and getting through it to our destination and a hot shower & warm bed.

Now, I can fondly recall the minutest details and smile because we had the fortitude to get through it, knowing eventually it would stop raining and the sun would come out.

Poor analogy, I know, but there’s something to it.

I’ll give you guys a call this afternoon.

Love & hugs,

Tim

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog each day waiting for the results of Barry's biopsy. I am at a loss for words for your situation. I think it is good news, however, that Barry does not have liver cancer. You both need to just take one day at a time. Since you have had your first chemo, I think that you can see now that it's not difficult to deal with the chemo. As time goes along, you may just feel a little more tired. Thank God for the new drugs that are fighting cancer so successfully! Your positive attitudes will help you to make it through this difficult time. You are in my prayers.
Ann

Anonymous said...

Jane, You and I both know how you are going to get through this...by the Grace of God. Continue to read you devotions (and maybe you can even get Barry to read them too) and continue lifting your days up to the Lord. We are all praying for you, Barry, and Tim at New Life. There is power in prayer.

We love you,

Lisa

Anonymous said...

What you are facing now is just unbelievable. To learn one family member has cancer is devastating enough, but to only hear it again so soon . . . just plain unfair. But reading your thoughts, Jane, I'm just awestruck at your incredible attitude and strength. You know that we are praying for you, Barry and Tim. You are both incredible role models for your son, and are showing such incredible strength and determination. You are showing those AROUND you that as well. You are role models to everyone!