Tuesday, May 10, 2005

A great day/New changes

Today I went to the Cancer Center and met with Brenda, a nurse oncologist. She explained the different drugs that I will be administered on Thursday. She also gave me prescriptions to fill and to use the day of treatment. Nausea pills. After our meeting, I finally got to see where the chemo is done. I think this was so beneficial since it was an unknown in my head, not knowing what to expect. It's a round shape room, with separate "suites" for individual treatments around 1/2 the room. Each room has a curtain if you want privacy, television, vcr, recliner chair for patient and another chair for a visitor. They have a fully stocked refrigerator with tons of fruit cups and soda, and of course lots of saltines. After meeting with Brenda, I went to the hospital for an echocardiogram. This will serve as a baseline for future purposes if needed.

After work, I picked up Lisa P. and we went to Images and looked at wigs. I jumped at the first wig which was just what I had on my mind. A bob-style cut and the color is like a frosted blonde. Really nice. Billie then cut my hair short like I used to wear it many years ago. At last I have short hair again!! Poor Barry.. My sister Eileen saw me on the webcam and says I look much younger now. This weekend I am going to have Tim take pictures of my hair cut and of me wearing my new wig.

I don't know if you can sense this by this writing, but I'm feeling pretty positive and comfortable about my situation. I know with the help of good meds and positive thinking that I will make it through what actually is a small portion of my life. And as my bosom buddy Jody said to me:
after this treatment I am 1/4 of the way done!

P.S. No news on Barry's liver biopsy. They did tell him that it should be ready by Wednesday.
So hopefully tomorrow we will hear from doctor. I did speak to the surgeon today so they know we are anxiously waiting for the results.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The wig looks great!!! You finally got the hair you could only dream about. So does your new haircut. Keep your chin up!!

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Younger & sexy - wow, can't wait to see it. Sounds like today went well - you deserved it. :) Meg