Thursday, May 12, 2005

First Chemo Treatment today

It was on March 15th that Dr. Henwood said the word cancer to me. And here it is about 2 months later and I'm having my first chemo treatment. Time flies when you're having fun!
Appt. is at 10:30 a.m. and I'm not sure how long it will be. They have to put the chemo drugs in very slowly the first time.

First chemo is complete!!! 1/4 of the way done for chemo. Got there at 10:30 a.m. and got home at 1:30 p.m. There was a bit of a delay due to them not receiving the echocardiogram results yet. Kendra was my nurse. She was so nice like everyone that has come into my life lately. Once connected up with the IV she inserted a steroid along with about 15 minutes to administer the adriamycin (red coolaid) by syringe into the IV. This was then followed by 1/2 hour drip of the second drug that starts with a C. They usually go hand in hand. Adriamycin is a powerful anti-cancer drug.

After coming home I called my family to tell them the news. The one thing that tells me I have chemo drugs in me is that my urine is red due to the drug. Tomorrow I have to go back for follow-up and to get a shot of neulasta to boost my white blood cells. Science has really improved with these drugs.

Will probably hit my bed this p.m. for a nice nap just to rest my brain. At least now I know the process, it's not an unknown to me. The only unknown right now is what will the drugs do to me in the next couple of weeks. All in all, I feel great right now to have this in the past.

In looking back at the day right now, only thing I have is a headache but that could be stress related. Have taken tylenol and anxiety pill. Only was able to rest for short time.

Highlight of my day at 7:24 p.m. was seeing about 4 deer in back woods along with Tim's pet raccoon. A sign from God.

Love you all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We always have to look at the good that comes out of bad situations. God is so good and He will get you through this. Just remember that "All things work together for good for those who love the Lord." (It doesn't say all things are good.)

Glad to hear you are done with your first treatment.

love ya,

Lisa

Anonymous said...

One step at a time. You are being a trooper. Hang in there!