Thursday, May 05, 2005

First appt. with oncologist

Today's the day. Heck, had you asked me a couple of months ago about the need to see an oncologist, I would have thought you to be crazy. But, our lives can change in an instant. At times it is best not to know the future.

Am a bit anxious as can be expected. My stomach of course is how I can tell that. I try to be honest in my posting. Spent some time in bathroom last night which is proof in that.

Appt. is at 10:20 a.m. Thanks Meg for your kind words. And everyone else who is watching over me.

Barry went with me to the first appt. Dr. Garrow is so comforting to talk to and to listen to. And that's such a plus. I got a lot of my questions answered.

Here are some things I learned today:

May 10th, I will be having an echocardiogram as a baseline for my heart, along with a chemotherapy teaching session. This is when I will have a tour of the chemo area and be explained specifically what will happen when it starts.

May 12th is my first chemo treatment in the morning. It will be a longer session than the others as they have to insert it in the IV at a slow pace the first time. A normal treatment is about 1 1/2 hrs. I will not be working this day and the next day for sure. The first treatment usually will be guideline for how the other sessions go. I will be having 4 treatments at 3 week intervals. Total is 12 weeks. And then I will have radiation for about 6 weeks.

May 13th I go in for a "booster" shot to up my white cell count a bit. I don't have specific name of drug right now.

Dr. Garrow did confirm that hair loss is a side effect and recommended that it be cut before it comes out from the drug. This will be done. I have information about wig companies that I will be looking into. I think I will do a variety of things: wig, scarves and turban/hats. Variety is the spice of life.

I have stage 2 cancer/nodes negative. Hormone receptor negative. Will probably not need tomoxafin.

All the people I came into contact today at the Cancer Center were so caring. I spoke to the social worker who is my advocate for anything that needs to be done or looked into. She is able to be talked to at any time. Her name is Brenda. She ended the meeting by giving me a hug. Now that's my kind of person.

A lot to remember today, but I think I did a good job. Thank goodness I took notes!

On the road....to healing and recovery.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

...time is odd, in that by this time tomorrow, you'll be on the other side of where you are right now. Not to be cryptic, but its one day at a time. I've always likened my problems in life to cruising on NIFTY...the bow rides through the undisturbed water, the hull creates the turbulence, and soon it all passes behind the stern and returns to it's serenity to be passed over by another boat.

I've contemplated a lot of life's issues watching water pass beneath me...knowing there's nothing I can do about it.

Have the best day you possibly can, Jane.

Hugs.

TimBa

Anonymous said...

I'll be thinking of you and Barry all day. You're not alone. Drive safely and ignore Barry, as I do Pete, when driving. :) Meg